split from: Fun with CBM arithmetics, Part II

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

split from: Fun with CBM arithmetics, Part II

Post by eslapion »

https://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bu ... 89&start=5
norm8332 wrote:... The kernel on this VIC is stock with an EPROM replacement also. Definitely not anywhere near the nice clean CR VIC-20 Mike posted above..this thing is literally built out of spare parts and scrap but it works fine. ...
Looks like one of the few hundreds of 2364/27XX adapter boards fitted with the indestructible DiplomatDL sockets I sold around 2007-2008.

Glad it still works well a decade later!
Be normal.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: split from: Fun with CBM arithmetics, Part II

Post by norm8332 »

eslapion wrote:
norm8332 wrote:... The kernel on this VIC is stock with an EPROM replacement also. Definitely not anywhere near the nice clean CR VIC-20 Mike posted above..this thing is literally built out of spare parts and scrap but it works fine. ...
Looks like one of the few hundreds of 2364/27XX adapter boards fitted with the indestructible DiplomatDL sockets I sold around 2007-2008.

Glad it still works well a decade later!
I actually made the adapters. The basic ROM uses a standard dual wipe socket with the thin round pin headers below and jumper wires. The kernel ROM uses single-sided PCBs and thin pin headers I made by hand with my homemade PCB plotter (see below). I use the laser method when fine pitches are required but the plotter is easier and faster.
Attachments
P1010705.JPG
P1010704.jpg
Last edited by norm8332 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: split from: Fun with CBM arithmetics, Part II

Post by eslapion »

norm8332 wrote:... The kernel ROM uses single-sided PCBs and thin pin headers I made by hand with my homemade PCB plotter (see below).
Nice!
Be normal.