HASL for cartridges? (split/OT from: Cheese & Onion)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: HASL for cartridges? (split/OT from: Cheese & Onion)

Post by joshuadenmark »

Get outside, get some fresh air and enjoy the Christmas spirit.

Love to you all, from Andy and I.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

joshuadenmark wrote: Love to you all, from Andy and I.
Love for you, and everybody, too!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:Eslapion must defend a choose of project indefensible, he is trying everything and I, and everybody who had read the treadh, can see if (how much) intellectual dishonesty is present in me and in Eslapion, and it can be readable if/who/how much of this dishonesty is for simple mistaking or simply for protect a business.

The original PLA can be supplied with 5V+-5% so it can be correctly feeded with Vcc from 4.75V to 5.25V, with ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM RATINGS: 5.25V<Vcc<7V.

The chose into "PLAnkton project" are so orientet at the "low price" that it don't match at original PLA specific by the first caratteristics: the supply voltage! (for explicit admission of Eslapion the CPLD are NORMALLY out of own "Recommended Operation Conditions" with Vcc= 5V !!!!)

From the opposite side of analysis I see a lot of sand for eyes, a lot of smoke......

what pity.....
MA.png
You think that because you don't understand the difference between TTL signaling and CMOS signaling. Commodore 8 bit computers don't use CMOS signaling. That's why you think it should have pull-up resistors and that's why you can't tell the reason GandALF carries a 74HCT74. Worst, you think a 74HCT74 and a 74LS74 signal at the same voltage. This IC is there because of its INPUT characteristics, not output.

You see dishonesty because you don't know.

As for the AMR, I said what I have to say.
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

I tell "I said what I have to say" too
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:I tell "I said what I have to say" too
Since this is not the first time I see pop-up the false notion that TTL and NMOS ICs signal at 0-5V because they are powered with at 0-5V, I felt it necessary to take up instruments and dispel the myth.

I even saw on eBay a competitor mention his products uses open-drain signaling which is truly ridiculous. A genuine Commodore PLA does not signal at 0-5V and Thomas 'Skoe' Giesel measured outputs as low as 3.7V to signal a logic 1.
This PLA which is an early version of the Commodore homemade 906114-01 was installed on my board 250466.
250466 setup
250466 setup
It was examined for its output on ROML (pin 11 of the cartridge port) which stays solid high once the C64 has finished its power up procedure.
Meterman 37XR
Meterman 37XR
This is far from 5V ...

BTW, notice the TTL CMOS button. This button is specifically to set the multimeter for TTL or CMOS logic threshold voltage. This button exists for a reason... actually, many reasons.
Be normal.
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Don't worry; MCes will simply scratch off the part numbers. If you can't see the part number, you can't see the problem.

It's brilliant, really.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Gyro Gearloose wrote:Don't worry; MCes will simply scratch off the part numbers. If you can't see the part number, you can't see the problem.

It's brilliant, really.
If you want to make your own memory expansion here is a good schematic for 35k:
Attachments
mem-exp.gif
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Thanks. I hope no one generated a netlist from that, there's no ground connection on the VIC side... :o

I'm going to roll my own cart with garbage I have lying around like cache SRAM from a 486 motherboard and a 1Mb EEPROM. I have a Radio Shack card edge prototype board I'm going to use.

I have even larger SRAMs lying around so I can go to 37K with one chip but I really wanted to add a UART to my cartridge using the IO2 line.

I have a lot of catching up to do with what's going on with the VIC these days though, especially WRT to how IO2 and IO3 are used these days. :o

If I decide to buy a cartridge instead, I'll for sure buy from eslapion, not from a chip scratcher.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

norm8332 wrote:If you want to make your own memory expansion here is a good schematic for 35k:
There is no need for R1 if you use a 74LS21. All 74LS series of logic ICs have pull-up resistors on input. Also, you should use pin 17 (VR/!W) instead of pin 18 (CR/!W) as pin 18 insn't buffered.

I had in mind making a 37k RAM expansion using a pair of IS62C256AL-45ULI and a pair of 74LS08 instead of a 74LS21.

32k X 8 SRAM ICs turn out to be considerably cheaper than 8k x 8, assuming you want RoHS compliant components. For that reason, you should connect pin 1 of U3 to Vcc too. The footprint will then work with both types of ICs.

I am puzzled as to why you would only want BLK5 to become read-only. Games like Krazy Antics will not work like that.
Last edited by eslapion on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Gyro Gearloose wrote:Thanks. I hope no one generated a netlist from that, there's no ground connection on the VIC side... :o ...
eslapion wrote: There is no need for R1 if you use a 74LS21....
Yeah, that's just one I pulled from the web. I was using it for reference only although it has been built by others and does work fine. I'm doing the same with the cache ram, I have tons of it laying around. I have heard that the high-speed motherboard cache RAM does generate some noise on the buses though. I don't know if it will be an issue. The noise spikes are too brief for me to pick up with my slow scope, but it has been documented elsewhere.
Gyro Gearloose wrote:If I decide to buy a cartridge instead, I'll for sure buy from eslapion, not from a chip scratcher.
Or if he is not selling them you could always get a Penultimate. It's a bit expensive, but it's a nice cart.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Gyro Gearloose wrote: I have even larger SRAMs lying around so I can go to 37K with one chip but I really wanted to add a UART to my cartridge using the IO2 line.
I've a schematic for interfacing a 16550A to the VIC if you want it.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Just an FYI:

I discovered while resurrecting another scrap board (this time a CR) that the cartridge connector is *NOT* gold plated..this is the first VIC-20 I noticed like this. Its a 250403 Rev D. I'm going to look at the rest of my CR VICs when I get a chance.
Attachments
P1010706.jpg
P1010708.jpg

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

norm8332 wrote:Just an FYI:

I discovered while resurrecting another scrap board (this time a CR) that the cartridge connector is *NOT* gold plated..this is the first VIC-20 I noticed like this. Its a 250403 Rev D. I'm going to look at the rest of my CR VICs when I get a chance.
Do you have a manufacturer and part number for this?

It's not because it's not yellowish that it's not gold. It could be low grade gold like 10kt.

It could also be silver as on some of those VIC-20 carts (greenish glint).

I have a bunch of 44 pins connectors from EDAC (part no. 307-044-500-202) and they too look silverish.
Well... http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/123/46_307_3 ... 335333.pdf

They are gold plated...
Contact Plating: Gold
Series: 307
Housing Material: Thermoplastic Polyester
Brand: EDAC
Contact Material: Copper, Nickel, Tin Alloy
Sidenote: It's little brother, the EDAC 307-024-500-202 makes for a great userport connector
Be normal.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

The part number must be on the other side. I can't definitively say they are not gold with out chemical testing, but there isn't even a hint of gold tint and the picture doesn't do it justice. They are bright matte silver colored. Gold plating I have seen has a visible tone to it however light.

If you look at the spec sheet you provided it says only the mating area is gold plated or "selective gold plating" and that area isn't shown in your picture. There is no gold in the mating area or any other area on the connector in my picture above. Here is the excerpt from the spec sheet you provided:
Clipboard05.jpg

EDIT: I just checked 6 more CR VIC-20s and they all have the silver-colored connector. Another Cost Reduction (CR) measure I think. It's a cheaper connector apparently. All of my (11) older 2-pin VICs have the yellow gold connector. You learn something new with these things every day, I never noticed it before (or maybe forgot) through all the repairs I did on them.

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

norm8332 wrote:The part number must be on the other side. I can't definitively say they are not gold with out chemical testing, but there isn't even a hint of gold tint and the picture doesn't do it justice. They are bright matte silver colored. Gold plating I have seen has a visible tone to it however light.
Digikey's search engine lists in excess of 4700 connectors for 44 pins with 0.156" spacing, in stock or not. 345 of them have a contact finish listed as 'tin', the rest is all gold and only those with gold are in stock. The photos you posted seem to match with EDAC 306 series of connectors or Vector R644-3F.
See: http://www.edac.net/dat/files/97.pdf

http://nebula.wsimg.com/60fad43f053ede6 ... oworigin=1

They all have gold plating. There are hundreds of photos you can find of these series on Google and they all look silverish.

Digikey has both part no. 306-022-500-102 in stock and R644-3F and they both have photos.
If you look at the spec sheet you provided it says only the mating area is gold plated or "selective gold plating" and that area isn't shown in your picture. There is no gold in the mating area or any other area on the connector in my picture above.
There are hundreds of photos of EDAC series 307 connectors on Google. None of them seem to have gold yet they all have gold plating. The same is true for series 306 and R644, as mentioned above.

I have carefully inspected my own EDAC 307-044-500-202 connectors and I can't see anything in there which would look like gold yet the datasheet says it's gold.
EDIT: I just checked 6 more CR VIC-20s and they all have the silver-colored connector. Another Cost Reduction (CR) measure I think. It's a cheaper connector apparently. All of my (11) older 2-pin VICs have the yellow gold connector. You learn something new with these things every day, I never noticed it before (or maybe forgot) through all the repairs I did on them.
I am very confident these are gold plated even if it's not apparent to the naked eye.

My personal explanation:
A common white gold formulation consists of 90 wt.% gold and 10 wt.% nickel.[3] Copper can be added to increase malleability.[2]
This would make perfect sense since both copper and nickel is often mentioned in the datasheets of most female edge connectors.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold#White_gold
Last edited by eslapion on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be normal.