Preventative maintenance

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

dmurton
Vic 20 Newbie

Preventative maintenance

Post by dmurton »

Hi everyone
I currently have 2 VIC20s and have owned both since the late 1980s, along with a vic1540 fdd, and 2 x later version c2n tapes (not including a fistfull of ram expansions and cartridge games)
They are in working order and in great condition. I've done my best to look after them, but they are at least 35 years old now and components can fail.
I have 3 primary concerns;
1 The power supply. They are the original Australian 'Arlec' branded 240v AC to 9v AC plugpack adaptors. Each vic has a different 2 pin tip on it. If these malfunction, it could kill the machine - and they get HOT.
2 The electrolytic capacitors do fail.
3 The power sockets seem unique. And one is loose, which nearly pulled the wires and soft iron core out of the case ond off the board.

I'm looking to preserve my machines, such that I can keep enjoying them for the future.
Any hints or tips appreciated.

David
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Preventative maintenance

Post by eslapion »

dmurton wrote:1 The power supply. They are the original Australian 'Arlec' branded 240v AC to 9v AC plugpack adaptors. Each vic has a different 2 pin tip on it. If these malfunction, it could kill the machine - and they get HOT.
The early VIC-20s used a 2 prong power supply that is in fact only a basic transformer. They cannot damage your VIC-20 if they fail. A simple transformer is usually very easy to replace in case of failure.
2 The electrolytic capacitors do fail.
Yes but they are easy to locate and replace. The main 4700uF capacitor inside the VIC-20 is the real vulnerable part of the power supply which, in your case, is actually inside the VIC-20 along with a large 5Vdc regulator.
3 The power sockets seem unique. And one is loose, which nearly pulled the wires and soft iron core out of the case ond off the board.
This is a question for European users. The older VIC-20s with a 2 prong power supply have a different connector in Europe (and Australia) vs North America.

Power supplies with the round connector (7 pin DIN) are the ones which can damage a VIC-20 or C64 if they fail.
Be normal.