VIC cartridge PCB eagle

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: VIC cartridge PCB eagle

Post by Kakemoms »

Would you consider a larger eprom with switches too? A simple dip-switch would enable the usage of 27C512 or alike to get several 8KB images into one cart.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Kakemoms wrote:Would you consider a larger eprom with switches too? A simple dip-switch would enable the usage of 27C512 or alike to get several 8KB images into one cart.
Yes, I will be releasing some variants but I want the basics done first. I haven't had a ton of time for it this week but this will be completed. I'm also going to be releasing a board design for a "poor man's" 35K memory upgrade.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

This is the final design for the 8k. I left it similar to the commodore design but added a ground plane as mike suggested. I will be sending this to production soon. If anyone sees any errors please let me know. I'm looking for any critiques. Next up is the basic 16K. When these have been tested the design files will be released. Thanks.
cart-R.jpg
cart-g.jpg
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Here is the basic 16K. Again mostly a Commodore clone. I will be working an a simple dip switch version next. Any input is appreciated.
16k_R.jpg
16k.jpg

toby405
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by toby405 »

This is an area I really want to learn about. Once one has a board like this, what's the overview on moving forward? I'm a noob with electronics but I'm thinking you get the board and then you have to find the components needed (dip socket, any switches, resistors and such) and then solder it all up? Is there a parts list? Tutorial? I don't come at this having not scoured the web and this forum but so far I've been left with more questions, haven't been able to put it all together.
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

toby405 wrote:This is an area I really want to learn about. Once one has a board like this, what's the overview on moving forward? I'm a noob with electronics but I'm thinking you get the board and then you have to find the components needed (dip socket, any switches, resistors and such) and then solder it all up? Is there a parts list? Tutorial? I don't come at this having not scoured the web and this forum but so far I've been left with more questions, haven't been able to put it all together.
Tutorials are not something you'll find on the web (I maybe wrong correct me if I am).
I'm probably going to get eaten up by everybody if I start telling you how to do something because of all the mistakes I make :mrgreen: .
norm8332 once sold some of his extra PCB's.
-Floopy
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

toby405 wrote:This is an area I really want to learn about. Once one has a board like this, what's the overview on moving forward? I'm a noob with electronics but I'm thinking you get the board and then you have to find the components needed (dip socket, any switches, resistors and such) and then solder it all up? Is there a parts list? Tutorial? I don't come at this having not scoured the web and this forum but so far I've been left with more questions, haven't been able to put it all together.
The designs above weren't the final designs, there is a lot more info in this thread including how to have the boards made as well as the final corrected designs: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=8724