VIC cartridge PCB eagle

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

VIC cartridge PCB eagle

Post by norm8332 »

I'm planning on making up a basic cartridge PCB for 27XX EPROMs. I want a way to make single game carts for myself. I can already make the 3-D printed cases. Before I start designing the PCB myself in Eagle, I was wondering if a design is already available in the wild? If not I will start from scratch. Thanks.

Norm
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: VIC cartridge PCB eagle

Post by mrr19121970 »

norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Yeah, I saw that. I was going to make at least 20 and it will be much cheaper with shipping to have the boards made in China. I also want a design file so more can be made. I will probably release the design to the public so anyone can produce them if a file isn't already available somewhere.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I have a library file that I've used. The width came out a little short on the one board I produced so it needs editing.
Attachments
eagle-library.zip
(14.19 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

srowe wrote:I have a library file that I've used. The width came out a little short on the one board I produced so it needs editing.
Thanks, that will help! I wasn't aware there was a library available. I will make sure to fix the size.

Norm

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I can't remember where I got it from. The pinouts were all wrong, I ended up re-doing it from scratch.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

OK, I had a go at a basic 8K cart. I'm a novice at cart design so please let me know about all the errors and how I am going to blow up my VIC! It's basically a copy of the commodore 8k except (hopefully) adapted to a 2764.Thanks in advance. Any comments are welcome.
Cart1.jpg
Norm
Last edited by norm8332 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

This is the latest one I switched the lines used for CS. I'm also starting on a 2-bank 16K with a 74ls00. When these are complete and tested, the eagle design files will be released to the wild. I can't hardy believe no one has ever done this. But after searching for weeks and not finding them I decided to clone the C= boards (for the most part). I like making custom "single" carts, and I think there may be others too that may want to make them without having to design a PCB or purchase the boards at triple the price. My total estimated material cost for a completed cartridge including board, EPROM and 3d printed case with label is only $4.00 each..Quite a bargain and I have the fun of building them.
Cart1.jpg

alexjlopez
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by alexjlopez »

Cool! If you don't mind me asking, where do you get the 3D printed cases and the vic labels?
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Sorry for being behind the curve but how do you actually get the board made once you have a satisfactory design file?
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

alexjlopez wrote:Cool! If you don't mind me asking, where do you get the 3D printed cases and the vic labels?
Well there are a couple of big caveats to this, you have to own a 3-d printer and a color laser printer. I built 3 3D printers in 2014 during my "3D printer phase" that are mostly idle now and I own a couple nice color laser printers left over from a business I used to run. I am only taking consumables into consideration for the price of the case and label. :mrgreen:
beamrider wrote:Sorry for being behind the curve but how do you actually get the board made once you have a satisfactory design file?
I have used DirtyPCBs.com. They take the Eagle .brd file directly on the ordering page and provide a board preview instantly in the shopping cart. If you select slow shipping it is really cheap and the boards I received were good quality. For the hobbyist the slow shipping doesn't matter, but for production it takes too long. I have no plans on selling these though. The EPROMs come from ebay new at $1.00 each shipped from china.

Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

norm8332 wrote: The EPROMs come from ebay new at $1.00 each shipped from china.
Where can I find some, the cheapest I see are about 3.00$ each :?:
-Floopy
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

norm8332 wrote:Any comments are welcome.
You should consider routing the data lines CD0 and CD1 with vias, and CD3..CD7 between the left-hand side pins of the chip.

No reason to copy the original design in that point really. One could easily route a trace between through-hole pins already in those days; nowadays, you could fit an entire motorway in. :mrgreen:

A really *good* design would involve a proper ground-plane on both sides, connected with a regular grid of vias, and the trace between stabilizing capacitor and Vcc pin of the EPROM as short as possible. That's one for the experts. :)
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Mike wrote:You should consider routing the data lines CD0 and CD1 with vias, and CD3..CD7 between the left-hand side pins of the chip.

No reason to copy the original design in that point really. One could easily route a trace between through-hole pins already in those days; nowadays, you could fit an entire motorway in. :mrgreen:

A really *good* design would involve a proper ground-plane on both sides, connected with a regular grid of vias, and the trace between stabilizing capacitor and Vcc pin of the EPROM as short as possible. That's one for the experts. :)
Yeah, I agree fully. I just copied the original design because it was easy to do and it works. :D I am going to take your suggestion on adding a ground plane. The 16K will be routed between the pins like you point out. Thanks for the input.

Floopy wrote:Where can I find some, the cheapest I see are about 3.00$ each :?:
I got some here: (these have been tested)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172447472569 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/172481257448

Norm

Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

Thank you!
:D
-Floopy