My VIC-20 doing FTP.

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

bozimmerman
Vic 20 Newbie

My VIC-20 doing FTP.

Post by bozimmerman »

My local C= users group has been working on one of those user-port ESP8266 WiFi modems. The software (ESP firmware and C= apps) has been my part of it. So, I thought I'd share a picture of my little VIC-20 downloading a game via ftp:

The modem works with your favorite VIC term programs (like Mighty Term, which is my fav). We also have the following apps ported to the VIC:
  • * configure - modem configuration (wifi and fake ATD phone numbers)
    * ftp - file transfers
    * irc - online chat program
    * wget - download a web page or file from a web site
    * d64wget - download a .D64 image from a web site directly to a blank disk
    * telnet - connect to servers or play online MUD games
    * cbmterm - connect to C= internet BBSes (X-Modem disabled in VIC version at this time)
All the VIC apps require 16k of ram expansion. They are mostly BASIC, with a small (<1k) machine language file to get better speed than get#2,a$ can provide. :) All machine language source is included, as well as programming docs, and modem AT command docs. The firmware is also entirely open sourced here: https://github.com/bozimmerman/Zimodem

The hardware supports Xon/Xoff and RTS/CTS hardware flow control, DCD for BBS software support, full AT command set, *optional* UP9600 lines through dip switches (I turn them off for the VIC-20), and is powered by *BOTH* the 5V and 9VAC lines, so that peak draws don't overload your computer (this is something that worries us about most WiFi modems that only use the user port 5VDC).

You can find the docs, schematics and if you don't want to build your own, a purchase link here: https://electronicsisfun.com/products

- Bo Zimmerman
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: My VIC-20 doing FTP.

Post by Bobbi »

Awesome - definitely going to have to play with this :)
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Very nice. I was interested in the schematic but the https://electronicsisfun.com/ website is incomplete?

Is someone selling a kit or just a PCB? I already have all the parts.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
bozimmerman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bozimmerman »

If you scroll to the bottom of https://electronicsisfun.com/products you'll see a link that says C64Net-04 Schematic. You can also check http://coffeemud.net:8080/ctcug/index.p ... rnet_Modem which has a schematic right at the top!

- Bo
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

bozimmerman wrote:All the VIC apps require 16k of ram expansion. They are mostly BASIC, with a small (<1k) machine language file to get better speed than get#2,a$ can provide. :) All machine language source is included, as well as programming docs, and modem AT command docs.
Could this software benefit in any way by getting compiled with the Austro compiler ?

I know one of the absolute requirements of this compiler is that the compiled software runs with 8k expansion or more but you mention this BASIC program already requires 16k RAM expansion.
Be normal.
bozimmerman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bozimmerman »

eslapion wrote: Could this software benefit in any way by getting compiled with the Austro compiler ?

I know one of the absolute requirements of this compiler is that the compiled software runs with 8k expansion or more but you mention this BASIC program already requires 16k RAM expansion.
Interesting question! I suspect it would not work well. :( The little machine language part actually reads and writes directly to BASIC variable space in its interaction with the BASIC part, even down to looking for variables of particular names. I doubt the Austro compiled program deals with variables the exact same way. That said, the machine language portion of the programs is SUPPOSED to alleviate any problems with slowness in BASIC, so I would hope the difference between compiled and uncompiled versions would be minimal anyway.

- Bo
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Bo, you have such a nice setup :envy: (no envy emoticon unfortunately :P)