Another problem - image tuning via pot

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mulbin
Vic 20 Newbie

Another problem - image tuning via pot

Post by Mulbin »

Hi all, so I've established the other issue (disappearing characters) needs a replacement Character Rom but can anyone help with this issue?

When I got the Vic, the image looked like this...

So I have adjusted the pot to improve image sharpness (only one pot as this is a PAL machine). The trouble is, I have turned it as far as it will go and it still doesn't quite get the image as sharp as it should be. Se below...

So my question is - is this pot trying to compensate for another chip that's just too far gone? If this Vic actually needs 2 replacement roms I'll probably just sell it on for spares.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Another problem - image tuning via pot

Post by norm8332 »

That's "Dot Crawl" and "ringing", very common issue with the video signal, not a chip issue. Normal on some machines. There are various fixes by modifying the video output circuitry. It looks much worse on a LCD monitor. Turning up the video singal just masks it, and when you get it working stuff will look better with it turned down a bit.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

S-Video mod is needed. Disconnect 6561 PIN2 from the mainboard, add a 100uF ceramic capacitor + 360 ohm resistor in series and bring this to the chroma line in a modified S-Video cable.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

if your monitor has the tuning "sharp" try to reduce its value
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)