Heatsink

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Heatsink

Post by Floopy »

Hello I have a question (a lot currently).
I'm going to install some heat sinks in my floppy drive and VIC-20, but I don't know what chips (besides the CPU) I should install them on?
Anyone have suggestions?
-Floopy
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Heatsink

Post by eslapion »

Floopy wrote:Hello I have a question (a lot currently).
I'm going to install some heat sinks in my floppy drive and VIC-20, but I don't know what chips (besides the CPU) I should install them on?
Anyone have suggestions?
In the VIC-20, the 656X video chip really needs a heat sink. AFAIK, nothing else does. The power components in the 2-prong PSU VICs already have large heat sinks.

In the 1541, the main source of heat are the power components and they too are already heat sinked. The use of a small fan that gently pulls air out from the top venting holes at the back can help.

If, like me, you have lots of knowledge in electronics then perhaps you can replace the power components with modern ones that produce very little heat.

I turned one of my own 1541 drives into a "cool drive" by having the 5V/12V source external and I replaced the ROM, CPU and VIAs with CMOS versions that don't heat.

In the case of the VIAs, since 1980s CMOS VIAs have a problem sharing IRQB, I bought new W65C22N ICs from Mouser. Original MOS 6522 ICs consume 60mA while the new ICs consume only 3mA.
Be normal.
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Heatsink

Post by Floopy »

Okay, thank you!
I don't think I'll take the risk of redoing the electronics inside (yet), I need more practice with electrical semiconductors and power supplies.
I don't want to mess with the inside without knowing how to do it :D .
-Floopy