Combining my Vics to make a good one?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Combining my Vics to make a good one?

Post by ral-clan »

beamrider wrote:Had a bad Vic day yesterday and the situation gets more confusing. ...sorry for the rambling thoughts and queries in advance

Vic (1) stopped working suddenly whilst play Arknoid, crashing then going to a black screen...I am wondering if using the WiModem from Cbmstuff.com could be damaging to my Vics as it displays a slight flickering and false joystick inputs seem to affect the megacart menu at bootup which doesn't seem right. Also, the mega-cart seems to have been affected as I had to reinstall SJLOAD. I was even begining to suspect Ray's power supply at one stage.

On the plus side, the VIC that I thought was broken (2) - flickering black screen at power-up has started working again after several attempts at powering up. Seems to be worse the longer it's been left switched off. I am wondering if there could be a capacitor that needs replacing?

So now I am back to Vic (2) but this seems to have louder and more distorted sounds - any way this can be attenuated internally to clean it up a bit?
Sorry to hear this.

I can confirm that with the Wimodem and the Megacart plugged in together the startup is wierd. False joystick input occurs with my setup and it always enters the World at War cartridge menu.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks, glad to know it isn't my Vic that's faulty then.

Perhaps the two, together draw too much current. I wish there was an option to supply external power to the WiModem..
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Did some more experimenting today with the WiModem - looks like it's my CR Vic-20s that exhibit the flickering, the 9VAC 2 pins seem ok.

All of them get erratic joystick movement with the mega-cart though.
r.cade
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by r.cade »

The Wiimodem pulls too much current at times. You can modify it with a simple choke and cap to make it tolerant. This may fix the issue...
--
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com