Idiots guide to putting a Vic-20 online (BBS)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

bpatte02
Vic 20 Newbie

Idiots guide to putting a Vic-20 online (BBS)

Post by bpatte02 »

Hi. First post here. Some might know me from the AtariAge forum. I just picked up a WiModem for my Vic-20. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this little project of mine. So far I have loaded up Mighty Term and tried setting up the modem on it. However, when I tried using the AT commands to set the modem up all I receive is lines of garbage. (See images). I have the Mighty Term on an SD2IEC and I have a dorktronics 32k cart in the cartridge slot for expanded memory. Any help would be appreciated. I'm eager to learn "new" things and I would love to get my Vic on some BBS.
Attachments
tmp_10343-20170331_150904_HDR631896276.jpg
tmp_10343-20170331_151046_HDR787412775.jpg
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Idiots guide to putting a Vic-20 online (BBS)

Post by Bobbi »

I use MightyTerm with the WiModem so I can probably help you out :)

I have the same 32K memory expansion too.

At a first glance it looks like your RS232 settings in MightyTerm are incorrect. You should be set to 1200 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit (otherwise known as 8N1). The settings in MightyTerm can be accessed using CTRL and (number) 1.

Let me know if that isn't the problem and I will investigate further.

PS: Once you get it working, try my RSS Reader program (here http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 543#p93543)

PPS: You can try Alterus's BBS: ATDT centronian.servebeer.com:6400 It works reasonably well in MightyTerm (not perfect though - it is designed for C64 users really and MightyTerm can't do colour because it does 40 cols in software but colour resolution is fixed and no longer lines up with the characters.)

PPPS: Welcome to Denial.
bpatte02
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bpatte02 »

Thanks for the help and the welcome. You were correct, I did need to change the baud. However, when you get the WiModem it is defaulted to 2400 instead of 1200, so if you simply change the baud in the Mighty Term to 1200 it doesn't work, in fact you'll think your computer has lost it's marbles because your keys don't work properly. So you need to change the default to 1200 on the modem while in 2400 in Mighty Term first. It was simple, just type AT*B 1200 hit return and then go into Mighty Term's options and switch to 1200 baud. And Then the Vic-20 won't display gibberish, if your keys are still jacked up it simply means that your command didn't go through, just fo back to 2400 and repeat. One you can type correctly in 1200 you will be free to set up your modem and explore the BBS highway. Thanks again for the suggestion as to the issue.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yes, this was discussed in another thread here on Denial about two months ago.
Also make sure you save the 1200 setting to your WiModem so you don't have to do this every time.

I've talked to the developer, Jim Drew, about this problem with the default baud rate and VIC-20s. He was open to the idea of shipping them defaulted to 1200 baud in future.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com