datasette to pc

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

datasette to pc

Post by R'zo »

I saw this in a Facebook group and thought I should share it here. Would definitely like one myself.

R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: datasette to pc

Post by highinfidelity »

You can build one by recycling a male connector from a parallel cable if you want one, it's very easy to do. The power supply and the power supply receptacle can be found in any electronics components shop.

Why would you like to own one, exactly? To the best of my knowledge, this adapter is completely passive and does just nothing, it would be useful just in case a Commodore Datassette happened to be the last working tape player on the planet.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

highinfidelity wrote:You can build one by recycling a male connector from a parallel cable if you want one, it's very easy to do. The power supply and the power supply receptacle can be found in any electronics components shop.

Why would you like to own one, exactly? To the best of my knowledge, this adapter is completely passive and does just nothing, it would be useful just in case a Commodore Datassette happened to be the last working tape player on the planet.

On second watch it looks like you right. This doesn't seem to accomplish anything that plugging a cassette player into the audio on your pc.

I'm curious if there is any good modern pc software for converting .wav to .tap. I've got a couple of tapes I'd like to convert over to play in emulation but the Nanosoft Princess is a little pricey for me.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

R'zo wrote:
highinfidelity wrote:I'm curious if there is any good modern pc software for converting .wav to .tap. I've got a couple of tapes I'd like to convert over to play in emulation but the Nanosoft Princess is a little pricey for me.
More than a decade ago I used WAV2PRG. It did a decent job as I was able to transfer Practicalc (and post it on Zimmers) with it.
Be normal.
Overdoc
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Overdoc »

I used such a thingy to convert original tapes to .tap files using Markus Brenners PTAP/MTAP ages ago.
But it is plain DOS only, and most modern machines probably do not have a parallel port any longer.
Overdoc