Sony PVM professional video monitor and the VIC20?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Sony PVM professional video monitor and the VIC20?

Post by highinfidelity »

r.cade wrote:The video outs should technically be terminated with a 75ohm terminator, if it's the last/only thing connected. In practice, however, generally this seems to not be needed. Likely you might experience a slightly darker picture than normal without it.
Thank you very much for this note! No problem, I have many terminators.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

OP shouldn't have posted his request in the first place... Now there's a bunch of Denialers hunting for a Sony professional monitor 8)
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Mine is paid in full and mailed already, so I will sip my cup of tea while others dig the web... 8)

I still have to find out if everything will be OK with the VIC20, so finger crossed at the moment, however these were professional instruments that used to cost a fortune when new - 1K$ per finger and you needed two hands to count... :shock: They're now being tossed at bargain prices due to the switch to HD transmissions by broadcasters, so yes: it is definitely the right time to put your hands on one if you prefer CRTs!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

It tempts me in terms of quality and flexibility toward video format, but the diagonal is a bit too short for my incipient presbyopia :?
For anyone interested, there are fifteen (!) Sony professional monitors waiting for you in Germany at the price of 142.80 Euros (negotiable) plus shipping.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Orion, they come in all sizes! :D

I focused on 5'' and 6'' because I need to fit the unit amongst my workbench instruments (and also because this fits my childish desire to own a mini-colur-TV set, which was impossible to afford when I was a kid and I had my "secret house" under the bed, but this would lead us too far from the point... :D )

AFAIK the 9'' is the biggest truly portable unit, still with the top handle and a reasonable wheight.

The 11' is the first of the line to have a front speaker. Then the line goes up to at least 20''.

Just check twice that they really have the speaker (a "volume" knob on the front is a clue) because there were also PVMs without speaker for medical use. By the way I focused on Sony because another childish dream that never came true so far was to own a "trinitron" CRT :D but there are also other makes that made impressive professional monitors; JVC is the first that comes to mind. 8)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

the 14" and 15" are also kind of portable.... gives you a free workout too :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

r.cade wrote:With the right adapter, it works great on the Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIgs, etc. Some models will also do digital signals (I believe) like CGA through a different adapter...
Yes, my Sony GVM works well in C128 80-column RGB digital mode.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
June 10-11 Pacific Commodore Expo NW -
http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I have owned several Sony PVM monitors and I was never really impressed with how they looked when hooked up to a Vic-20. I find the picture to be much better on a typical 1702 monitor or 9"/13" tv from the 80's. I feel the PVM's may be too good/exact for the Vic video signal. That's just my observation.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I have a few sony pvms. 9inch and 14 inch. All have 110-250vac and 12vdc input. All have 500 scanlines. Composite and s-video inputs. One even has rgb (which I didn't use so far). Prices ranged from 5 euros to 50. One even came in a flight case. Can display ntsc pal and secam. Fantastic.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Barney wrote:I have owned several Sony PVM monitors and I was never really impressed with how they looked when hooked up to a Vic-20. I find the picture to be much better on a typical 1702 monitor or 9"/13" tv from the 80's. I feel the PVM's may be too good/exact for the Vic video signal. That's just my observation.
Is that with or without the S-Video mod ?
Be normal.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

eslapion wrote:
Barney wrote:I have owned several Sony PVM monitors and I was never really impressed with how they looked when hooked up to a Vic-20. I find the picture to be much better on a typical 1702 monitor or 9"/13" tv from the 80's. I feel the PVM's may be too good/exact for the Vic video signal. That's just my observation.
Is that with or without the S-Video mod ?
That's a good question. I believe that was without the S-video mod. I will have to go back and take another look.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

orion70 wrote:OP shouldn't have posted his request in the first place... Now there's a bunch of Denialers hunting for a Sony professional monitor 8)
If you can't find a Sony PVM for a good price an excellent alternative is the JVC-A13SU. Great size (13"), with composite and S-Video inputs.

Many claim it to be a later cousin of the original Commodore 1701/2. Supposedly both picture tubes are JVC brand and very similar. I've got two myself and am very happy with their performance.