Do "easier" DIP switches exist?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Do "easier" DIP switches exist?

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have an easily removed "eight number" DIP switch on a flash cart. It is a pain to routinely consult a chart when selecting a number. Is there an easier solution to go through the 256 options?

I imagined a simple LCD or LED digital number device that, by pressing buttons, could advance the number. Something you might find on a pedometer or cheap, tiny alarm clock. But with the same pins to swap/replace the DIP switch component. Anything like that exist?

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
xavier
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Do "easier" DIP switches exist?

Post by xavier »

... Or two hexadecimal encoders...

4bits+4bits="F"+"F"=&FF=256.
(Easy to set)

http://www.conrad.fr/ce/fr/product/7054 ... view1&rb=1
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have the "piano" type switches. None of the rotary ones seem to use the same pin layout.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

How about an ardiuno and 2x16 LCD display?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Jeff-20 wrote:I have an easily removed "eight number" DIP switch on a flash cart. It is a pain to routinely consult a chart when selecting a number. Is there an easier solution to go through the 256 options?

I imagined a simple LCD or LED digital number device that, by pressing buttons, could advance the number. Something you might find on a pedometer or cheap, tiny alarm clock. But with the same pins to swap/replace the DIP switch component. Anything like that exist?
I think what you're looking for is an 8-bit binary counter that has the same footprint as an 8 way DIP switch. You could probably build something that fitted but I don't think there's anything off-the-shelf.