VIC 1515 printer - worth buying?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

fandenivoldsk
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC 1515 printer - worth buying?

Post by fandenivoldsk »

I am able to buy a VIC 1515 printer, but it only comes with 3 "new" ink ribbons. Once these dry out (maybe they already are), is it possible to use the VIC 1515 again, or is it going to be next to impossible to find more ribbons for it?
orion70
VICtalian

Re: VIC 1515 printer - worth buying?

Post by orion70 »

Hello fandenivoldsk, and welcome to the forum. Please, introduce yourself in the Announcement Board, and have fun with the little forum about the little computer. As already discussed in another thread about my own VIC setup, the VIC-1515 or 1520, which would match the VIC-20 design-wise, present with several disadvantages over e.g the MPS-801. Most notably, it's VERY hard to get the strange ribbons they use.
Instead, I would suggest to look for the more common, cheap, and affordable MPS-801. It's sturdy enough, retro enough, and you can buy replacement ribbons from several sources (depending from where you live), including Amazon. I've been using it for two years now, and if my neighbors don't kill me before, will gladly go on for years :).
fandenivoldsk
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by fandenivoldsk »

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the 801 is probably the one to go for then, but that 1515 is just so cool looking. A shame those ribbons makes it obsolete :(
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

I'd buy the 1515 if the price is right. I have one, but it is missing the top cover, and I'd like to have a complete unit.

I have a re-inker, so I am good on ribbons

jim