Cartridge PCB for 27x Eproms

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Cartridge PCB for 27x Eproms

Post by Kakemoms »

Hi Ken, Great project!

I also get peppered for not doing things the same way as veterans have done them. But I tell you this: I have worked with development for 26 years and the only way to find new ways or better solutions is to test them yourself.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ken wrote:I honestly do not care if I finish it or not
every project I do gets nothing but negative replies telling me its already been done or its dumb or someone else is doing it
so no, no progress
the cad file is sitting on my pc along with my plus4 and 64 projects
I got exactly the same with both the Behr-Bonz cart and the PLAnkton modules.

Don't yield to naysayers. A VIC-20 development cart that's directly compatible with 2764-27512 series of chips would be very useful.
Kakemoms wrote:I also get peppered for not doing things the same way as veterans have done them.
Tachyon made a very blunt and serious comment about that on Melon64 and he went further than that...
Tachyon wrote:This brings up the general underlying issue. There is an old guard, "old boys club" in the C= community that do not take lightly to anyone rocking their boat. They have set themselves up with a nice little cult that includes not only followers, but also a belief system. Anyone that tries to bring new ideas into the cult is immediately attacked and eventually ostracized. They also do not want any of the attention or "worship" that they get from this little cult to be shared with anyone else. So anyone that comes into the community and gets too much attention also soon finds themselves under attack and bewildered as to why.
It really pisses me off because it's a huge detriment to the community as a whole and it impedes progress in the community. New ideas and new was of looking at old problems are stomped out of existence before they can be reasonably and thoughtfully discussed.
You only have to look at any thread about PLA replacements, accelerators (turbo boards), Vic-II emulation/replacement etc. to see the obviousness of these issues. These and other topics have long since been debated and the "correct" paths of exploration decided on. Anything outside those paths is heresy and treated accordingly. Eslapion's treatment in PLA discussions is a prime example.
It's this very nonsense that led me to creating the Commodore Community Consortium, strictly for the purpose of hardware and software development in an open, and collaborative environment with none of this nonsense allowed. To be a place for those with new and exciting ideas that are outside the accepted old guard list to explore and develop those ideas without being slammed and ridiculed until they abandon their ideas.
More wisdom in there than in anything I have ever read on Lemon64... except perhaps for one specific post from Skoe.

I really hope you go ahead and make those boards.
Be normal.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:
Kakemoms wrote:I also get peppered for not doing things the same way as veterans have done them.
Tachyon made a very blunt and serious comment about that on Melon64 and he went further than that...
Well, I wasn't targeting the C= community in particular, this is something you see all over the place. And especially in development.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Elwee, if you're still in need, there is this, and I can run a few boards:

http://www.sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web ... =11&t=7644

It appears I do need to change one thing on the design, but that's not an issue.

Jim