UltiMem

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: UltiMem

Post by brain »

I doubt it. I know Marko submitted the patches, but I doubt they have been merged as yet.

I'd reach out to Marko for the most recent patches if interested.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just wondering if the UltiMem prototype has been tested against crosstalk? See here:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 976#p75976

The Final Expansion has an issue that writes to the $a400-area are sometimes (about 20% of the time) are mirrored to $0400-area and vice-versa. The problem happens on NTSC regularly, but has been seen on some PAL-machines as well. The MegaCart does not have this problem, just trying to make sure the UltiMem becomes the best product possible :-)

Also, I was wondering: VICMIDI is basically an UltiMem with MIDI support? While you are at it, would it be possible to add an uIEC to the UltiMem instead or as well? I suppose anyone using and UltiMem would most likely use some SD2IEC-device as well.
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

With the Final expansion 3 writing to $2400-$2fff is also mirrored to $0400-$0fff... (PAL)
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

tokra wrote:Just wondering if the UltiMem prototype has been tested against crosstalk? See here:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 976#p75976

The Final Expansion has an issue that writes to the $a400-area are sometimes (about 20% of the time) are mirrored to $0400-area and vice-versa. The problem happens on NTSC regularly, but has been seen on some PAL-machines as well. The MegaCart does not have this problem, just trying to make sure the UltiMem becomes the best product possible :-)
How do you guard against it? It seems like, that thread, the culprit was using a 65C02. Alternatively, why is the MegaCart immune? I have a bit of extra space in the CPLD, though not much, and can add stuff if needed. But, first I have to understand the situation.
Also, I was wondering: VICMIDI is basically an UltiMem with MIDI support? While you are at it, would it be possible to add an uIEC to the UltiMem instead or as well? I suppose anyone using and UltiMem would most likely use some SD2IEC-device as well.
There's no more room on the current PCB for uIEC. However, another PCB could be created that contains the uIEC. I like the idea, though, but I have a slightly different product idea in mind. Let me stew on it for a bit and get these out the door.

JIm
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

brain wrote:How do you guard against it? It seems like, that thread, the culprit was using a 65C02. Alternatively, why is the MegaCart immune? I have a bit of extra space in the CPLD, though not much, and can add stuff if needed. But, first I have to understand the situation.
The issue has nothing to do with 65C02. This was another issue in that thread. Doom uses illegal opcodes and these won't run on the 65C02. It is unknown why the Final Expansion has crosstalk-issue and MegaCart does not. I suggest you just let the test-program run for some time on the prototype to check this:

http://www.tokra.de/vic/doom/crosstalk.prg

If you want this to run endlessly, just delete line 17 and change line 30 to

Code: Select all

30 run
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Proving the negative is always sketchy.

I think I see the issue, but it would be easier to prove my theory if I could find a schematic of MegaCart and FE3 to compare. FE3 web site appears down, and can't find a MegaCart schematic.

Jim
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

For Final Expansion see this thread: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=7061
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

tokra wrote:For Final Expansion see this thread: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=7061
OK, got the schematic, now it looks like I need the CPLD equations for the Atmel 1504. Any ideas?
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

OK, ran the test (thanks tokra):

Run 1: Forgot that the defaults for the bank registers are all 0 :) Program registered lots of errors
Run 2: I had issues, not with RAM, but with BLK0 getting bleed from the other blocks
Made change I thought would fix
Run 3: It is still running, but no issues as yet

The fix: WE on the RAM needs to be gated with clock

***EDIT: Mike notes this is not true, as I didn't see VR/W on the R/W pin: That is why the schematic on the linked topic had issues. the 7408 does not have PHI2 as an input.
***EDIT: It however, may explain why FE3 has an issue...

tl;dr: UltiMem had an issue, but it seems to be fixed now.

Jim
Last edited by brain on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Glad I brought the issue up then :) Would have been a shame if the UltiMem wasn't able to play Doom.

Regarding the fix, do you think it is possible to apply to existing Final Expansions?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

brain wrote:That is why the schematic on the linked topic had issues. the 7408 does not have PHI2 as an input.
As tokra already pointed out, in said thread not the RAM expansion was the culprit, it was the use of a 65C02 (Hint: Imperious didn't find any error with crosstalk.prg).

Most RAM expansions take the VR/W signal to drive the WE pin of the RAM chips, and this signal is already gated with Phi2. The shown schematic with the 74LS08 to recover A13, A14 and a single /CS for the 32K SRAM chip is perfectly legit.

Only when you use CR/W you need to take Phi2 into account. Otherwise "invalid" chip selects (put onto the expansion port /RAMx signals by VIC(!) during Phi1) can thrash the RAM.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Mike wrote: Most RAM expansions take the VR/W signal to drive the WE pin of the RAM chips, and this signal is already gated with Phi2. The shown schematic with the 74LS08 to recover A13, A14 and a single /CS for the 32K SRAM chip is perfectly legit.

Only when you use CR/W you need to take Phi2 into account. Otherwise "invalid" chip selects (put onto the expansion port /RAMx signals by VIC(!) during Phi1) can thrash the RAM.
Yeah, I missed the VR/W. I was responding quickly and should have been more careful. It may, though, explain why FE3 has an issue.

So, I am using CR/W, so should I switch my code to use VR/W?

Jim
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

tokra wrote:Glad I brought the issue up then :) Would have been a shame if the UltiMem wasn't able to play Doom.

Regarding the fix, do you think it is possible to apply to existing Final Expansions?
I think it is possible.

My first thought would be to to cut the CR/W trace to the FE3 and wire VR/W to that same trace.

ALternatively, one could "gate" the CR/W signal with a gate (WE = CR/W & PHI2), but it sounds like VR/W is basically that. (it has PHI1 in there, but not sure that needs to be in scope)

Jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

brain wrote:So, I am using CR/W, so should I switch my code to use VR/W?
A look at the schematic of the VIC-20 shows, that the only two uses of CR/W are the generation of VR/W (obviously), and otherwise it goes directly to the R/W pin (pin 22) of the 2 VIAs. Those two, however, have also an Phi2 input (pin 25) and use that to qualify their register selects and data bus pins:
MCS6522 data sheet wrote:1. PHASE TWO CLOCK (Phi2)

Data transfers between the MCS6522 and the system processor take place only while two Phase Two Clock is high. In addition, Phi2 acts as the time base for the various timers, shift registers, etc. on the chip.
Consequently, the IEEE-488 interface cartridge also uses CR/W and Phi2 to control its two VIAs.

If you have consistent logic equations, that use CR/W together with Phi2 regardless what access takes place (to the own control registers, cartridge RAM and cartridge ROM (Flash?)), and everything works, you can leave it as is. :)
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Mike wrote:
brain wrote:If you have consistent logic equations, that use CR/W together with Phi2 regardless what access takes place (to the own control registers, cartridge RAM and cartridge ROM (Flash?)), and everything works, you can leave it as is. :)
I do:

RAM and ROM is:

assign we = !(clock &
!r_w &
((ram_write_en & ram_sel) |
(io2_write_en & !io[2]) |
(io3_write_en & !io[3]) |
(blk1_write_en & !blk1) |
(blk2_write_en & !blk2) |
(blk3_write_en & !blk3) |
(blk5_write_en & !blk5)
)