Vic-20 ethernet?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Vic-20 ethernet?

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi you clever Denial techs 8)

Could this device be used for the Vic-20 as an cheap online solution?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251921531669?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Vic-20 ethernet?

Post by beamrider »

I don't think so. The Vic doesn't have true RS232 levels and no tcp/ip stack either.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting the Vic on the net, it would be far too underpowered to display modern web pages etc.

In my Bluetooth20 Vic-20 thread I outlined a solution where a mobile phone with a custom app could be used as an agent to download/upload files etc, but there wasn't too much interest.

It seems to me that you only do things like that as an end in itself, to prove it can be done.
r.cade
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by r.cade »

Is there a VIC-20 C/G terminal? I have a VTE-40 cart, but it's definately not C/G. :)

If so you could use CommodorePortal and Strikelink. For file transfer, Over5 also works with a Strikelink.
--
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I thought that I maybe could connect the Vic to one of these nice looking commodore BBS found online :D

http://cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com
Last edited by joshuadenmark on Thu May 21, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add BBS link
Kind regards, Peter.
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

beamrider wrote:I don't think so. The Vic doesn't have true RS232 levels and no tcp/ip stack either.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting the Vic on the net, it would be far too underpowered to display modern web pages etc.

In my Bluetooth20 Vic-20 thread I outlined a solution where a mobile phone with a custom app could be used as an agent to download/upload files etc, but there wasn't too much interest.

It seems to me that you only do things like that as an end in itself, to prove it can be done.
I have bought the components to Your Bluetooth project and when I am settled in my new mancave this will get my full attention 8) and I am looking forward to connect my Vic and do talking adventures.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

^ Likewise. I purchased the parts and hope that I can get to the BT VIC project sometime in the next year :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

beamrider wrote:I don't think so. The Vic doesn't have true RS232 levels and no tcp/ip stack either.

Its my understanding the device we're talking about it here INCLUDES the TCP/IP stack. It seems to be a telnet to terminal device.

On it is a max232 ic voltage converter for RS-232. If you bypass it then the VIC doesn't need true RS232 - you get direct 0-5v serial communication.

Then all you need on the VIC is a terminal software.
Be normal.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

eslapion wrote:

Its my understanding the device we're talking about it here INCLUDES the TCP/IP stack. It seems to be a telnet to terminal device.

On it is a max232 ic voltage converter for RS-232. If you bypass it then the VIC doesn't need true RS232 - you get direct 0-5v serial communication.

Thanks eslapion, I will grap one to test, now just waiting time to get this from the china men.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

eslapion wrote:
beamrider wrote:On it is a max232 ic voltage converter for RS-232. If you bypass it then the VIC doesn't need true RS232 - you get direct 0-5v serial communication.

I didn't realise that [or the existance of Commodore specific BBs].

eslapion - can you elaborate how to "bypasss" the voltage converter - wouldn't want to fry the VIC?

So if I get this write, with my Megacart + VTE40 and this thing I could connect to the various BBSs outline earlier in the thread?
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Found the manual, looks like massive options for settings in this device :shock:

http://www.usriot.com/Down//T24/USR-TCP ... V3.2.4.pdf
Last edited by joshuadenmark on Sat May 23, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot to post the link...oooold man...
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

beamrider wrote:I didn't realise that [or the existance of Commodore specific BBs].

eslapion - can you elaborate how to "bypasss" the voltage converter - wouldn't want to fry the VIC?

So if I get this write, with my Megacart + VTE40 and this thing I could connect to the various BBSs outline earlier in the thread?
I can't be VERY specific because I don't have the device in front of me.

What you need is the datasheet for the specific type of Max232 chip used on the device. Essentially, the VIC has RS-232 lines in the user port. A Commodore RS-232 adapter converts the 0-5V signals coming from these lines into -12/+12 signals for RS-232 IO but then thats exactly what the Max232 does. Just connect the 0-5V lines of the VIC (or 64 or 128) directly to the 0-5V pins on the Max232...

Et voilà...

Added edit:
The picture isn't very detailed but I can see near the DB-9 connector a small chip with slightly larger pins and 5 vias with the text saying RxD TxD GND. I think these are the 0-5V signals you could directly attach to the user port. If you don't know exactly what pins on the user port, well... grab yourself a Programmer's Reference Guide, see page 257 Table 4-1.
Be normal.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Here's the 8–bit TCP/IP stack you want. AFAIK even cc65 does a good job compiling it. (I got a little disappointed by cc65's optimizations.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIP_%28micro_IP%29
https://github.com/adamdunkels/uip
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Fairly lager picture of the device.
image.jpg
image.jpg (127.42 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

pixel wrote:Here's the 8–bit TCP/IP stack you want. AFAIK even cc65 does a good job compiling it. (I got a little disappointed by cc65's optimizations.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIP_%28micro_IP%29
https://github.com/adamdunkels/uip
Considering what I understand of this TCP232 device, the above mentioned stack will be most useless.

It appears to have been designed with Atmel and Microchip Pic processors in mind. When you need to have a bunch of these small things appear on a network for remote control. They too can only do RS-232 at 0-5 volts so you can plug them directly.

Keep in mind, the old VICModem, the 1650 and the 1670 too were rs-232 devices with 0-5 volts RS-232.
Be normal.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks elapsion. How do I connect to those "holes" - is there a special connector needed or just solder?