Discovering the mysteries of the datasette

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Discovering the mysteries of the datasette

Post by Forbidden64 »

My chips are fake :< ... I just finally got around to checking. I pulled a lot of my tinkering stuff out of storage to fix my phone, and in the process, found my cache of chips. I apparently bought 10 of them and they are all brightly labelled and have the fake notches. Very disappointing. Oh well, I do have a small supply of real PLA chips. I do also at least know exactly where to get real ones now when they do come up for sale/when I have money again heh.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Forbidden64 wrote:My chips are fake :<
To get genuine ST M27C512-90B6 you can get in touch with Ray Carlsen and I still make and sell PLAnkton.
Be normal.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

That is definitely good to know. I have a lot of broken 64s, and about 18 loose motherboards I picked up a while back in an auction for almost nothing. I bet most of them have a bad PLA. some of the loose are missing a lot of chips, so I am guessing whoever owned them was using the boards as a boneyard for salvage and restoring other C64 computers. There are however a small stock of SIDs on there :D. So I will at least never be short of those!

At the moment I am not able to afford to restore them. So in the storage unit they sit, waiting.

I remember you were working on a schematic for a switching power supply as well on some forum, possibly lemon64. What became of that project? That is another thing I am short of. I only have one or two working PSUs and they are the waffley originals, which I don't want to use, simply because I use a 1541U2, and also have a promenade C1. Both of these are thirsty boards. I usually plug in the cart, and then transfer to real disk/tape for VIC and 64 software. Would be cool to have a low cost/safe switching PSU solution I could build using the cables from all the broken bricks I have.

I had repaired 4 of them, until I found out that the linear supplies I bought from basicwayne fried all but one. He mounted the transformer free floating over the board suspended from it only by the excess wire. As soon as it shifted around a bit, FRIED. Along with it, went 3 commodores before I figured out it was actually the new supply :<. It worked for about 2 weeks.