Cartridge ROM chip specs

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Cartridge ROM chip specs

Post by phvic »

Hi there! This is my first post to this great forum!

I used to own a VIC-20 about 30 years ago and sadly I sold the computer when I "upgraded" to C64. Luckily since a few days ago I'm now a happy owner of a vic again :)

I don't have any games yet but I already have a few projects in mind. I'm a game developer and also an electronics geek and I've been thinking about the feasability of emulating a cartridge ROM chip with a microcontroller such as the ATmega328P.

My question is about the ROM chips found in the cartridges. Does anyone know the part number of the ROM chip used in cartridges, or better yet point me to a technical datasheet with pinouts and timing information?

Many thanks in advance!
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Cartridge ROM chip specs

Post by Mike »

The PROM chips on the cartridges are pin- and signal-compatible to the 23xx series.

With an adapter socket or some re-routing on the cartridge PCB, 27xx EPROMs can be made to work.

You should check out the FE3 (Final Expansion 3) project. It uses two microcontrollers: one of them provides a SD2IEC device, which allows access to SD cards as floppy on DOS level (the internal computer of the CBM drives is not emulated), and the second one controls access to a 512K RAM and a 512K Flash EPROM. Part of the Flash EPROM is supposed to hold firmware with utility programs (Menu, DOS wedge) and the cartridge allows to activate different RAM expansions which map into free address ranges of the 6502 CPU.
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Thanks! That helps. So many things to learn! I'll post here with results if I get the emulation working.
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Hello again! I've tried to Google but I can't find any technical information (schematics, technical specs) about the Final Expansion 3 project. All the links in the Denial Wiki's FE3 page and the webpage of the FE3 project http://www.for8bits.com seem to be down. Any ideas where to look?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I can help uploading the FE3 manual here. Unfortunately, I don't have more tech specs saved in my HD.
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Thank you orion70! Interesting read. If somebody has the schematic still around I'd be very grateful.. :)
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Have a look at Vic-20 MegaCart also for ideas.

Cheers
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

6502dude wrote:Have a look at Vic-20 MegaCart also for ideas.
Speaking of which, I ordered the MegaCart a few days ago but haven't got any email back. Hope all is well and I get the ultimate MegaCart one day… :)