ITS (Infinity Tape Sd2iec)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

ITS (Infinity Tape Sd2iec)

Post by tokra »

After seeing the advert and the videos on Manosoft's page I knew I had to get this item for my VIC-20s as an extension to the already existing SD-solution "C64SD v2.0 Infinity" - which is the best SD-option available in my opinion.

Anyway, with the VIC-20's commercial games being released almost either on cartdrige (which the MegaCart already covers) or on tape, of which most if not all can be found in the Gamebase20 the ITS-add-on is the ideal companion for the VIC.

I received the ITS-devices I ordered for both my PAL and NTSC-VIC in under a week from Italy to Germany. Connecting them to the C64SD was easy and without any soldering. The video-explanation helps a lot. Using .tap-files is pretty easy as well. Just go to the directoy where the .tap-file is located and then type

Code: Select all

open 1,8,15,"xt:tapefile.tap":close1
to mount a .tap-file as one would otherwise mount as disk. Once that is done the device will behave just a like a tape-drive. You even have a volume-knob to listen to the screeching sounds from the .tap-file.

I was able to load any .tap-file I tried with or without expansion. Granted I only tried a few, but copy-protection does not matter as well, since effectively you are playing the original tape.

Available at Manosoft's site also is a modified version of "File Browser" that can mount .tap-files more easily. For the VIC-20 you still have to mount this manually as noted above. Maybe it's possible to compile a modified VIC-20 version of the file browser as well or even include such a version in the next revision of the MegaCart.

I know this whole post sounds like one long commercial, but it's great to see such a versatile product which is clearly a work of love being released to the public - fully assembled no less. All thumbs up for that :-)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I was attracted by this ever since it was available, but had already purchased the (much cheaper) micro-IEC by Jim Brain. I wonder if the ITS module can be attached to a standard "naked" SD2IEC device - loading all the TAPs available would open a brand new world to my VIC :) .
yellow_lantern
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by yellow_lantern »

I thought I saw a short blurb that there was some kind of firmware trick that restricted it to Manosoft's device.

Still, if there is enough demand, someone else will make one - maybe even Jim Brain.
We miss Miki.
Looking for a Commodore 16
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

orion70: The ITS is specifically designed for the C64SD. You should just sell your micro-IEC and get the Infinity Pack ready to go for 95 EUR. This is a good one time investment, definitely worth it. Seeing as you are located in Italy same as the seller shipping should be reasonable for you as well.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks. If no one shows up with a similar device for the standard SD2IEC, I'll definitely be thinking about this change :)
Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

I have the C64SD v2.0 Infinity and it excellently work. I will soon buy the ITS Module to load the .tap files. Orion, buy a good gift for your Vic... ;)
It's an awesome product, really.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Don't know, apart from the fact that I already have a SD2IEC, the device seems to be a little thicker than the VIC case, which in my setup is inside a 1020...
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

I'd be interested in adding the functionality, but is there any technical specifications? I would think there should be, as sd2iec is GPLv2, and I think SD2IEC (the hardware) is as well.

Any chance someone could help me get the technical details?

Jim
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Maybe contact hawui1 who did the ITS-software and says it is GPL. See original thread on Forum64:

http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board65-neue ... d2iec-yes/
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Hi guys,

I just want to inform you that i'm adding ITS support to my cbm-filebrowser, at the moment it is in beta but i'm able to load any tap file for c16, c128, c64 and vic-20+mega-cart, I'm working for other vic-20 configuration and I will publish the new version soon.

The new version will work with any sd2iec based device but taps works with c64sd infinity+ITS module only of course.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

nbla000 wrote:....i'm adding ITS support to my cbm-filebrowser, at the moment it is in beta but i'm able to load any tap file for c16, c128, c64 and vic-20+mega-cart, I'm working for other vic-20 configuration and I will publish the new version soon.

Cool!!!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

6502dude wrote:Cool!!!
Thanks, CBM-FileBrowser with TAP support just released, new Mega-Carts will include this version of course.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Super, great work :D Thanks!
Kind regards, Peter.