Fake cassette to play/load program wav's into memory

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

vicned
Vic 20 Newbie

Fake cassette to play/load program wav's into memory

Post by vicned »

Wouldn't this be something to play wave files of programs into the memory of the VIC?

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5152
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Well it can certainly be done with a ZX Spectrum, so why not a VIC 20? Maybe there is a reason, but it seems like a good idea to me. Connect to sound card on PC, and then put the casette part in the trusty old C2N. I think it may be necessary to remove the lid of the C2N though (ie the bit that pops when EJECT is pressed).
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Hey, I have one of those, not "Monster" but from a another brand. It never crossed my mind to use it for computers but I guess it would work. Maybe you could fill the mp3 player with vic-20 games and use it :-)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Much cheaper brands are available. I have several that I use with my iPod in the car, but have never had to use it yet on a computer.
As I mentioned earlier though, I do know that it is quite widely used in ZX Spectrum circles.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

16KVIC20 wrote:Much cheaper brands are available.
Yes, Monster is a ridiculously high priced cable brand living on fooling people that cables will sound better the higher priced they are.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've already paired the Starpath Supercharger for the Atari 2600 with an MP3 player to give me access to all the games for that platform. I've never considered the tape insert shown here. It seems like a really good idea, but then I'd need WAV files.
It also seems to be designed for cars where the tape is partially exposed. Would this work for the datacassette where the door closes?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vicned
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by vicned »

You can maybe cut a small hole in the door.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've already paired the Starpath Supercharger for the Atari 2600 with an MP3 player to give me access to all the games for that platform. I've never considered the tape insert shown here. It seems like a really good idea, but then I'd need WAV files.
It also seems to be designed for cars where the tape is partially exposed. Would this work for the datacassette where the door closes?
Just take the door off Jeff. All you have to do is squeeeze it each side and pull from what I recall. If not, just force it shut, I 've managed that with plenty of tape decks, although admittefly not a C2N. Worst case scenario, I even reckon that a tape fits onto the spindles with the lid open, just put the cassette straight onto them, underneath the plastic guides.
macc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by macc »

Today I attempted to use a one of those tapes with a lead (in car purposes mainly) to load a few wav's on the VIC, no luck as yet, probably to do with what Im using to covert taps, first tried tap2wav but that made the wav about 12 minutes long, then I tried Audiotap, this at least gave me the correct length, but wouldnt load (until I changed from square to triangle or sine but they only achieved the found message then crashed)

This works great on a Spectrum so I cant figure out what the problem could be

Heres what Im using
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93 ... 02_top.jpg
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

I suspect the problem is that unlike other computers, the CBM's don't record audio signals on the cassette.
vicned
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by vicned »

CurtisP wrote:I suspect the problem is that unlike other computers, the CBM's don't record audio signals on the cassette.
The are audio signals indeed, you can even hear them.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

macc wrote:Today I attempted to use a one of those tapes with a lead (in car purposes mainly) to load a few wav's on the VIC, no luck as yet, probably to do with what Im using to covert taps, first tried tap2wav but that made the wav about 12 minutes long, then I tried Audiotap, this at least gave me the correct length, but wouldnt load (until I changed from square to triangle or sine but they only achieved the found message then crashed)

This works great on a Spectrum so I cant figure out what the problem could be

Heres what Im using
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93 ... 02_top.jpg

Macc, the program that I have used is WinTZX, which is freely available on World of Spectrum. I have only used it for .PRG files, but it should work for .TAP as well I think.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... ght=#60259

If I get a chance I may try it a bit later myself.
macc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by macc »

cheers for that, ill have a go later on mate
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I had a spare hour so I thought I'd see if I could convert some cartridge images this way, specifically Road Race, Jelly monsters and Choplifter, they should work as they are .PRG files, but I kept getting Syntax Error or Load error when it had loaded.

I also tried Berzerk MMX+(not cartridge), which looked like it had also failed as it said Load error, but underneath it said

Turn the volume up high, so I did, and pressed the space bar, then it worked! Excellent title screen, looks more like a C64 title screen.

Pretty good it was too. Was amazing to hear the VIC say some words!

I must admit, I wasn't sure if it was 16K or more, but it seems to work on 16K.

With the cartridge images I have a few more things to try, like some pokes, or changing the volume, beofre I give up.
dabone
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by dabone »

I tried a cheap mp3 player and cassette adapter for my pet 2001 and it could find the file, but never would load. I think the mp3 player I was trying had a eq I could not disable.

Still looking for a good portable solution for that. I need to just get a extension cord for my pc to try straight out of my sound card first, and if and when I get that working, then add a mp3 player later.

Later,
dabone