6562/6563 datasheet

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: 6562/6563 datasheet

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote:
The 6502 uses one half of every clock cycle while the 6560/61 uses the other half. This is not multiplexing, unless you desperately want to confuse everyone.
:!:
What??

Find me a single place in the VIC-20's P.R.G. where the expression "multiplexed" is used?

It's called a "high speed shared address bus".
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

What??
"The fool uses one half of every time unit while the barf uses the other half." is a textbook example of multiplexing (in the time domain), and thats why it is called multiplexing, unless you need a catchy phrase for a document that is mostly read by aspiring programmers rather than tech people :=) just like Kakemoms explained, its common/universal terminology and certainly correct in this case, no matter what the RPG calls it.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote:
What??
"The fool uses one half of every time unit while the barf uses the other half." is a textbook example of multiplexing (in the time domain), and thats why it is called multiplexing, unless you need a catchy phrase for a document that is mostly read by aspiring programmers rather than tech people :=) just like Kakemoms explained, its common/universal terminology and certainly correct in this case, no matter what the RPG calls it.
Possible...

I didn't understand a damn thing what he was talking about because... historically... Commodore refers to multiplexing as one specific component signaling to another using the same line to exchange 2 different type of information (i.e. Address low/address high) during the same half cycle as opposed to different components using the same line to exchange the same type of information (i.e. A0-A15 and D0-D7) at a different time.

There is no information multiplexing in the VIC-20, there is in the C64.

OR

Multiplexing in Commodore terminology could be viewed as using the same bus/lines to convey multiple parts of one information (i.e. the address
being accessed by the CPU or the video chip).

Multiplexing/multiplexed/multiplex is NOT used to describe the bus sharing that takes place in the C64 and VIC-20 specifically to avoid confusing one with the other.

But if you want to throw aside expressions and nomenclatures which were intentionally put in place 35 years ago...
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

"multiplexing" ment the same 40 years ago as it does now. only because someone used a catchy marketing phrase for some of it, that doesnt mean its not multiplexing anymore - or even that techy people didnt call it multiplexing 40 years ago. you are just overinterpreting the importance of the wording used by commodores PRG there.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.