Introducing VFLI for VIC-20: 208x256 pixels in 16 colours!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Re: Introducing VFLI for VIC-20: 208x256 pixels in 16 colours!

Post by Mike »

Some time ago I could source a Sony PVM monitor, which has BNC inputs for composite and S-Video inputs for Luma/Chroma.

My VIC-20 is also equipped with an own variant of the S-Video mod, and I needed to 'extend' my monitor cable (DIN to 4x Cinch breakout adapter + AV cable) with yet another 2x Cinch to S-Video plug adapter. Before that, and with just an additional Cinch to BNC adapter on Luma, I was stuck with a B/W picture.

Here's the new cable:

And here's the backside of the monitor with the new adapter plugged in LINE A Y/C IN:

Now for a quick test - here we go: Let's bring colour to life! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Michael
freshlamb
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by freshlamb »

For TL;DR: I built a VFLI vic in 2013. Thought it was broken in 2014. After sitting in a box for some time I decided I HAD to see why my VFLI Vic wasn't working. From many of the new threads on fixing Vics it seemed like a memory problem. Long story short, I removed the piggybacked 2K chips and checked my soldering and it looked good so I firmly re-inserted them. I just tried it and it worked! It has happened since then and I just have to firmly press the chips into the sockets. But the reason I am posting is more about this:

I know Mike has said this before but it is worth repeating.
For those who are hesitant to try this mod, once it is complete, your modded Vic will still run almost all software (and hardware) regularly. The exceptions are : hardware that uses the user port. It may not be compatible if it uses port B. Aside from that you may have to poke the Start of Basic vector to go back to your 3583 byte machine (poke642,16;sys58232) for unexpanded programs. Other than that it will work exactly the same! I just loaded the 3K version of Skyhawk (by Quicksilver) and it played fine.
Attachments
20211206_155442.jpg
20211206_154232.jpg
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Hello, I am extremely interested in having this mod performed on my Vic-20. Do you or would you actually perform this mod for a fee? If so, what is the price? Thank you.