SID Chip Upgrade

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Rob Murphy
Vic 20 Drifter

SID Chip Upgrade

Post by Rob Murphy »

I was wondering if it would be possible to put a SID chip on a cartridge and use it with a Vic 20. Has anyone ever pondered this idea?
Rob Murphy
Mobsie
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Mobsie »

Hi,

maybe it will work. The Atari User do this with the Atari 8-Bit's.

Nice question.

Cheers
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

According to the Battleships docs, there used to be SID chips interfaced with the VIC-20. I've never heard about it before, but the game supports a 6581 chip mapped at $9140 (i.e. right after the VIAs).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Rob Murphy
Vic 20 Drifter

Sid Expander

Post by Rob Murphy »

Mobsie, Could you give me a web site for the info on atari, so I can study this a little more. Also, Anders, I'd like to get a web site I could get that Battleship info from.

That would be the next thing I'd put on a wish list.

1. 40k RAM Expander.
2. Sid Expander
3. 40/80 column Card

Maybe someone can get some sprite control too.Hey, I just made a motley64. LOL. Oh well, I can dream (because I probably don't have the know how to make something like that myself).

Thanks for the help.
Rob Murphy
Mobsie
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Mobsie »

Hi Rob,

on the http://www.abbuc.de site you find a lot of stuff. I am member and i became an printed magazine 4-5 times in year.

In this magazine i found the articel about the SID stuff. I remember there was an link. I will lot at home ( in moment i am on work) an then i post the link here.

Cheers
Mobsie
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Rob, check http://www.cbm.sfks.se/files/ but I haven't looked into the actual program to see if it really tries to address a SID at the mentioned address. There are no technical docs how to build a cartridge anyway.

The Plus/4 quite commonly interfaced an external SID chip at $fd00 IIRC. I don't know which "latency" you get with a chip on the cartridge port, but at least you should be able to play the simple music that doesn't alter the register values one hundred times per second. :wink:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Rob Murphy
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Rob Murphy »

Thanks guys for the info.
Rob Murphy