how do i connect a vic 20 to a votrax type n talk?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, are you using a VIC-1011A or a Jemco (Jameco?) RS232 adapter? I believe the 1011A should have TXD, RXD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DCD and DTR.

There is a control register $0294 = decimal address 660 where you can configure parity bits, half or full duplex and handshaking:

%76543210

Bits 5-7 set parity:

000 = no parity sent or received
001 = odd parity
011 = even parity
101 = no parity check, parity = 1
111 = no parity check, parity = 0

Bit 4: 0 = full duplex, 1 = half

Bits 1-3 are not used.

Bit 0 selects regular or X-type handshaking

I don't know what the parity bits should be set to, but it appears POKE 660,PEEK(660)AND254 would ensure regular CTS handshake. PEEK(660)OR1 would enable XON/XOFF.

There might be errors in the above, I just quoted from an unofficial instruction book I found on the Internet.

From what I understand, even the simple Basic program ended up in the device talking gibberish, or did it echo back what you typed?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronfire »

hi anders

the simple program i typed was

10 open 1, 2, 0, chr$, (08 )
20 input a$
30 print#1 a$
40 goto 20
run

this worked, whatever i type the votrax echoes back to me, only when i enter the sys32592 and start the game i get gibberish, even if i open the channel that way first...

i dont quite understand what i should add to line 10 to enable handshaking and to convert the cts....
as always, any help appreated
regards: AAron....
aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronfire »

hi again, according to the jemeco manual, and the vic 20 programmers reference guide the cts signal is not used, i believe this is why im getting gibberish only when i start the game as this would require handshaking where as opening the channel and running that basic program would not, as the votrax would just be recieving data, not sending any back.....

i dont know how much of this theory is correct, but i have tried everything else i know at this point, again any help is appreated....

Regards: AAron...
aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

hello again

Post by aaronfire »

i bought both the 1011a and the jemeco rs232 adapters, once i get these games talking i will gladly part with the adapter im not using...

snogpitch spoke of a vic to type n talk cable, has anyone ever seen one,
ive searched ebay for years now and have never seen one listed...

hope this helps
regards: Aaron...
Snogpitch
Vic 20 Drifter

Extra Help?

Post by Snogpitch »

Maybe you can bring your equipment to a local Commodore Club, or maybe a regional Expo? Folks can supply extra brain power, maybe alternative adapters/cables and get the thing working. I didnt see a location in your profile, so Im not sure what part of the world you reside.

Next expo I know of is C=4 Expo.
aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronfire »

hello snogpitch:

do you know of any other sys 32592 that i could try,or what i would type to ensure handshaking without a cts signal, its working fine with the basic program, just not on the decoded games,

i live in no mans land, no c=4 in newbrunswick canada...

any help greatly appreated....

regards: AAron....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe the Scott Adams adventures are meant to be used specifically with a 1011A if that device can do CTS handshaking. The program might even POKE 660 itself, I haven't checked. If you're using another RS232 interface, it might be mapped otherwise or at least use the memory addresses in a different way?

My last attempt would be this:
poke660,peek(660)and254:sys32592
Anders Carlsson

aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

1011b 20ma current loop.....

Post by aaronfire »

would a 1011b make any difference? i dont know the difference between the two

and anders: do i type 10 before the poking and peeking statement you gave me? please let me know....

regards: Aaron...
Snogpitch
Vic 20 Drifter

Some additional suggestions

Post by Snogpitch »

As an experiment, I hooked up my Vic20 to my Macintosh running Zterm to see what was sent out on the serial line. The Vic was using a VIC1011A, an ordinary scsi cable I had in one of my boxes of cables, then to interface the Mac, I used a null modem adapter, to a USB adapter.

I set the Mac up for 1200 baud 8N1 and then went about setting up the Vic20 for Pirates Cove. I did not use any poke commands prior to the sys32592 , I typed v and saw a variety of characters on the screen, and to my eye, it appeared that I was communicating at the wrong speed. I slowed the speed down on the Mac to 300 baud, same result. I upped the speed to 2400 baud, echoed on the screen was the same text on the Mac and the Vic!!!!

Could the Adventure manual from Commodore be wrong? Here is a PDF of the manual: http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/games ... _Games.pdf
Change the dipswitch setting on your type n talk to 2400 baud and report the results back.

As an additional test, I set up my omnitronix rs232 adapter up, with the 2400 baud results working.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

1011B is for Teletype terminals, using a different kind of signals so it would not be suitable at all.

My idea is to POKE and SYS as a direct command, no need for a line number. But as Snogpitch suggests, try changing the baud rate on the Votrax. It would appear 2400 baud is the fastest a VIC-20 can do without additional hard- or software.
Anders Carlsson

aaronfire
Vic 20 Newbie

you guys rock!!!!! it works!!!!

Post by aaronfire »

hi guys

i just came home and tried the votrax at 2400 baud, typed sys32592 and i didnt even have to hit v it works 100%

i will post samples as soon as i figure out how, but i have got to play the count now, but i do have one question for you experts...

if (06)= 300 baud, and (08 )= 1200 baud, what = 2400 baud????....

again you guys rock,thanks and thanks again, ive waited 10 + years to do this...

please let me know the 2400 baud speed

all the best andmany thanks...
regards: Aaron......
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

According to the bit count I posted on the previous page, 2400 baud should equal CHR$(12) assuming the word length and stop bits are the same.
Anders Carlsson

Snogpitch
Vic 20 Drifter

Still a pricy item

Post by Snogpitch »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0397228580

current auction just sold at ebay $255!

and I didnt have the winning bid.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

255 is cute and all... but good grief... all I want is some wav files...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
OneSwitch
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: how do i connect a vic 20 to a votrax type n talk?

Post by OneSwitch »

(many years later...)

I also have a Votrax Talk N Type, and am new to Vic 20s (although I grew up with a C64). I'm having problems getting mine to do anything more than say "system ready". If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. It's to help with a presentation I'm giving on the history of game accessibility in March.

Here's the hardware I have...

A working "VC20" Vic 20 with brand-new power supply.
The Count cartridge (working once I enter SYS 32592)
VIC-1011A RS232C Terminal Type adapter (Commodore branded - untested)
DB25 Male to Male straight-through cable.

Here's some findings....

If I have the Votrax connected to the VIC-1011A adapter, the Votrax will say "System Ready". The Vic 20 does not need to be powered on though for this to happen.

I've tried setting the Dip switches to various Baud rates to no avail.

Baud 300 = switch 3 down (all the rest up)
Baud 600 = switch 4 down .....
Baud 1200 = switch 5 down (as recommended by The Count manual)
Baud 2400 = switch 6 down (as recommended by everyone else it seems)

I've tried typing in a BASIC programme to match the baud rates (2400 below as I understand) and get no sound.
1 OPEN 1,2,3,CHR$(10)
2 PRINT#1, "HELLO WORLD"
3 END

I've tried the SYS 32592 and "v" method to get The Count talking to no avail.

If I turn the Votrax power off, the speaker hums. When I hit return in The Count, I get crackling sounds from the Votrax speaker, as if something is being sent to the unit.

I don't know if the VIC-1011A is fully working as I've nothing else to try it on presently.

I'm told the ports are/were all good on the Vic 20.

Any help hugely appreciated. I have a feeling the cable should perhaps be a Null Modem cable? I'm just not sure. I'd love to get some good footage of it all working on a legitimate Votrax if possible.