Post by ral-clan »

Mobsie wrote:Hi,

look to

http://www.atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

i will this for my VC-20.

Cheers
Mobsie
Hi Mobie,

Are you saying you will make one of these for your VIC, or that you wish to have one of these for your VIC?

If it's the first I will buy one from you.
If it's the second I wish it too. :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think it is "want". It has been discussed many times in various forms, so any day now there should be a finished design either DIY or possible to order prebuilt. :wink:

In the mean time, the 6502 RAM/ROM board should be a kind of replacement. It can hold four cartridge images at BLK5, and four alternative system ROMs. Maybe it would be possible to modify this project to hold ROM images into the other memory blocks too, for 16K cartridges.

The video games like Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision etc rarely have any secondary storage media other than the cartridge, so it makes the multicart much more important on those machines, than on the VIC where a majority of the dumped cartridges can be loaded from disk or tape into a memory expansion - if the expansion also has a write protect switch, I'd say all regular ROM cartridges are runnable. Yes, it is a bit more trouble loading images from a secondary storage device than having everything in a Flash memory, but at least there is an option while waiting for the desired product.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:The video games like Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision etc rarely have any secondary storage media other than the cartridge, so it makes the multicart much more important on those machines, than on the VIC where a majority of the dumped cartridges can be loaded from disk or tape into a memory expansion
Good point. I guess this is why there is no burning desire for a VIC multicart.
eslapion
ultimate expander

multicart for the VIC

Post by eslapion »

Hello,
2 years ago I tought of doing something like this for a psychiatric institution who wanted to offer loct cost entertainement for the patients.

The idea was quite simple, program a large bunch of games into a 1Mbit flash memory and have a 74ls373 swtich from bank to bank. The 373 would be adressable through I/O2.

Just make an autostart rom at bank 0 of the flash memory and have a simple menu software allow you to choose the game you want with the joystick and put the whole thing a re-enforced wooden box with only the joystick and function keys sticking out et voila...