Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New release: Underwater Basket Weaving

Post by Jeff-20 »

Author: Jeffrey Daniels
Genre: Casual Puzzle game
Code: BASIC
Requirements: unexpanded VIC-20 (joystick optional)

Description: a pick-up-and-play puzzle game using the number keys or joystick to play.

Screenshot:

Download (now on itch): DOWNLOAD

I'm going to start putting stuff on itch.io now as we discussed having VIC game jams in the future.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: New release: Underwater Basket Weaving

Post by RobertBe »

The first in a series of underwater activities?!! ;)

Happy New Year!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by DarwinNE »

I tried it and I had fun! Nice idea and nicely done.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Excellent game Jeff and love the humour. Really well made.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for playing. I made it in a rush for the C-64 winter game development competition. This is actually a second draft. The first has continuous music (64 notes) that could be muted with the M key.

I had to remove the song to add joystick support for the contest. I figured more universal controls would be appreciated over music that would soon become repetitive.

There are some amazing entries. I just wanted to make sure a VIC game was represented, but it seems most of the games are VIC games. I still haven't been able to get a new VIC, but I will one way or another. :)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

This is a fun and challenging concept with playful execution and excellent art. I enjoyed it a lot.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
grondinm
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by grondinm »

I tired it. It's a great looking game. I like the out of air error. The first time i was like "oh what just happened" then i read the error and LOL'ed

I suck at most puzzle games so i probably wont play it much but still a very nice game.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

What a cool puzzle concept :D It is completely fresh to me! I found it quite difficult at first but soon got the hang of it. Also, as always with Jeff's games - a very pleasant overall experience.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Brilliant! I can't think of any similar game. Are there any?

Very well executed too.

I had troubles grasping the concept and how to think at first, but after a while I got good at it.
JavaJack
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JavaJack »

hasseapa wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 pmI can't think of any similar game. Are there any?
Mindbusters from Compute! magazine was similar in that you were trying to match a predefined pattern. But yeah, the weaving mechanism is a new one on me. Both a clever puzzle and an appealing presentation.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

JavaJack wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:06 pm
hasseapa wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 pmI can't think of any similar game. Are there any?
Mindbusters from Compute! magazine was similar in that you were trying to match a predefined pattern. But yeah, the weaving mechanism is a new one on me. Both a clever puzzle and an appealing presentation.
Thanks, I looked up Mindbusters, but as you say the actual modification mechanism of the grid/matrix is very different. I am intrigued by the 3d-nature of a 'weave' and how it can be represented by as-simple-as-it-gets 2d-graphics. I have been thinking about how the game mechanics could evolve to allow true weaving patterns.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I was stunned when I saw this title. My father would always call any subject/course or sport he didn't understand either 'underwater basket weaving' or 'underwater knitting'.

Here was me thinking he made that up..
3^4 is 81.0000001
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

I was stunned when I saw this title. My father would always call any subject/course or sport he didn't understand either 'underwater basket weaving' or 'underwater knitting'.
What I found amazing was when I did a youtube search to see if anyone had posted a video of the game and saw that there was such a thing as underwater basket weaving!
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Victragic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 am I was stunned when I saw this title. My father would always call any subject/course or sport he didn't understand either 'underwater basket weaving' or 'underwater knitting'.

Here was me thinking he made that up..
There is a lengthy Wikipedia article on the idiom. Apparently it is of US origin and has been used since the '50s referring to useless/absurd university courses.

The sport connection is also rather interesting, Underwater rugby is an actual, if obscure, sport, and in which you score by putting the ball into an underwater basket ...