Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Morse

Post by Kakemoms »

The most silly program yet: Morse code keyboard
morse.png
Use the joystick fire button to tap Morse codes (as a real Morse coder) and see the output on the screen.

It supports all letters but no numbers. Up to 4 segment morse codes. A half second space gives a space. 800Hz sound as real Morse codes (on HAM radio).

Can be used as a trainer or just for fun. I made it to connect a real morse key coder through the joystick port. Nice as entertainment for kids on a Makerfaire.

It's not strick on the space thing as even short spaces in real Morse are to be accounted for as space between letters. Tree such spaces are spaces in words and seven such spaces are spaces between words.. Too complicated for me, so half a second = one space here.

For 8K+ expansion:
morse.zip
(616 Bytes) Downloaded 283 times
Unexpanded or 3K:
morse3k.zip
(600 Bytes) Downloaded 279 times
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Morse

Post by orion70 »

@Kakemoms - My grand-daddy, who was a Morse code operator and telephone line technician in the army during ww2, tried to teach me the code when I was a child, with no success. I'll try with the VIC so thanks for this :)

(you should modify your Announcements post and include a link to this discussion :mrgreen:)

(mod: for the time being, OP and response have been put into the Games section ...)
taborj
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by taborj »

Very cool. Last year I attempted to learn Morse, but I wasn't able to dedicate the time to it. I'll give this a shot.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

taborj wrote:Very cool. Last year I attempted to learn Morse, but I wasn't able to dedicate the time to it. I'll give this a shot.
Now you can have another go with the morse "Challenge" game:
challenge.jpg
It looks popular at the local Makerfaire:
makerfaire.jpg
This Vic-20 is running the SuperVixen expansion with a VGA monitor. Nice way to test the SuperVixen.
If you want to make your own Morse Key Coder to connect to the joystick port (as seen in the picture), I have drawings for that.

Download
upchallenge.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
The game loads into BLK5 and autostarts at reset (so you need memory there). It then copies itself into $1200, so you also need memory at BLK1.. I'll upload some other versions without autostart later.

Edit:
8K+ version:
challenge.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Unexpanded:
challenge0k.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Control the morse with a joystick fire button. Use to learn Morse or just for fun.
The game is in basic while the morse code translator is in assembly (running as interrupt). So you can use the assembly program to include in your own morse game as well:
Assembly Unexpanded:
morse0k.zip
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
taborj
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by taborj »

Excellent, I'll definitely check this out!!