WIP: Pyrotech

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

WIP: Pyrotech

Post by LoadError »

EDIT: the game is released, so I've removed the download from this thread; the game can be downloaded from the Announcements thread; this thread can be used to discuss the game and report bugs. Thanks =)
Dear forumers,
I concocted this little game in 2016. I've just finished working at a revised version. I thought it would be nice if it appeared on this forum even though it's not up to par with the general level of the stuff here.
It's not really a WIP, as I am not planning to edit it further, aside from debugging.
This was meant as a BASIC project from the start so, even if it is compiled, performance is not its forte, expecially when the field becomes cluttered with bad guys further down the game. And it's my first attempt at an arcade game. So please be kind :lol:
If the Gods will be forgiving, I may some day try my hand at a version 2.0 with machine code movement routines, not before I've finished studying the VIC-20 Programmers' Guide. Gotta walk before you try to run innit?
I'm attaching a zip file with the compiled game and the instructions; if you wish, you can find more goodies on the mini website linked in my profile.
It's a "gobble gobble, don't tread on the mines, mind the baddies, watch the timer" type of game. Factoid: the idea for the bonus stage came straight from my 4 years old daughter and it's the part I like the most.
Here is a screenie.
A 16K RAM expansion is required.

Thanks, cheers!
Last edited by LoadError on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Commodore VIC-20 n. WG-C-275517 - manufactured in Western Germany in 1983
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: WIP: Pyrotech (v1.1)

Post by norm8332 »

looks cool. I'll have to give it a try for sure.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: WIP: Pyrotech

Post by LoadError »

Thanks; in the meantime I've decided to tweak it further after all, so a version 1.2 is underway.

EDIT 1:
I've released version 1.2, which is meant to be the final release unless there are bugs.

EDIT 2:
I'm adding some finishing touches to version 1.2. Eventually it will pop up in the "Software releases of 2018" I guess.

EDIT 3:
Done. Over and out...
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

Thanks to Constelaciòn Commodore for featuring my game on YouTube! New version now uploaded =)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I have finally tried your game and I found it pretty enjoyable. The controls can be frustrating as it is very easy to move a few steps more than intended, but it can also be viewed as part of the challenge and walls can be used to “bounce” around the screen instead of careful and tedious tap-for-tap movements.

I was unclear of the range of the zappers. What if they had an unlimited range but could only hurt the player if he is in the same row or column as the zapper? It could potentially spice up the game as it would add a quite different mechanic from the avoid-getting-close-to-danger one.

I enjoyed your “why I did this” ramblings too :)
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

Thanks! I agree, the controls are a bit cumbersome, but that is part of the challenge somehow :D Perhaps I could introduce a delay to make them more precise (but the character would move in steps, and this being BASIC the whole game would be slowed down).
I've got a thread open in Programming about the movements anyway, as diagonal movements feel quite a bit faster for some reason I've been unable to put my finger on.
I'd considered making the range of the zappers visibile, but that required an array and a few for...next loops and again this was slowing down things.
Thanks again :)