International Karate VIC20 [Ultimem] [CANCELLED]

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: [WIP] International Karate VIC20 [Ultimem]

Post by 16KVIC20 »

This looks very cool majieyrick, just what I was imagining, so thanks for all the effort.
If I knew how to program or had the time to learn, I would do some of this stuff too.

I 've not heard of the Ultimem before, and I don't think I can justify another present for my VIC, not of that expense anyway.
I have all expansions, courtesy of the mega cart, and I also have an SD2IEC. Will the finished product be compatible with that set up at all?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Maybe I can offer some "assets" here too. Not sure how transferable they are from C64 to the VIC20

https://youtu.be/NdJoc0NO5_A
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Any update on this Majieyrick?
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

just a WIP video (the project is still on hold though)
https://youtu.be/R-4ibGlvEYw
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Looks really cool! Interesting again how the multicolor-mode of the C64 is the same resolution as the hires-mode on the VIC-20 and as such gives the game a ZX-Spectrum-look. Would love to see this project continued!
Paolopepper
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Paolopepper »

Hi all

Just wondered if there was anything already like this? I used to love Exploding Fist on C64 / Spectrum but recently saw it was also out on the C16.

Therefore if that computer could handle it, I'm sure Vic +32K could. Is there a port available?

By the way, if you do get around to finishing International Karate, I'd be abdolutely chuffed! I only had a Vic 20 as a kid (now 46!) so games like this were what mates had. Something like this would take pride and place in the world of the Vic!
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

I'm back to work on IK :)
I have made a small graphics converter to convert the original c64 backgrounds to the VIC20.

*the background has not been fixed yet, It is a raw convert.
IJust wondered if there was anything already like this? I used to love Exploding Fist on C64 / Spectrum but recently saw it was also out on the C16.
Therefore if that computer could handle it, I'm sure Vic +32K could. Is there a port available?
I don't know any fight games on VIC20, except one in a games pack from Ghislain de Blois :
VIC Boxing Association : http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 243#p81922

C16's exploding fist is a very nice game for 16k but the real spirit of the game has a bit gone. I mean the one you can find in the C64 version :)
Paolopepper
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Paolopepper »

Well best of luck with the conversion, I look forward to playing it and it already looks great. Agreed, the C64 and Spectrum versions were very playable but the C16 was lacking somersaults, flying kicks and an all round polish. IK+ was decent on the Speccy too so this should be a pleasure to witness

Saw someone mentioned Bruce Lee too, maybe the Coronavirus lockdown may at least get us a couple of great games for the Vic. Such a sad time for many so hopefully everyone is safe and well.

Happy to beta test (or the Vic version of it!) if you need a hand. Glad we are keeping the Vic alive!
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

deleted
Last edited by beamrider on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

beamrider wrote:Any chance this could be made to work with 32K [+ SDIEC] instead of needing UltiMem?
From what I have gathered, the animation phases of the fighters take a lot of room. They're not simply stored as data but as unrolled speed code that updates the character set in the internal RAM (incurring a 5x size increase).

Storing all this code requires a banked RAM solution, which rules out a standard +32K RAM expansion. Doing overlay from mass storage would be much too slow.

@majikeyric: nice background of NYC, even if you say it's 'only' a raw convert. 8) I'd prefer a 'thinner' character set for the score display, though.
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:04 am From what I have gathered, the animation phases of the fighters take a lot of room. They're not simply stored as data but as unrolled speed code that updates the character set in the internal RAM (incurring a 5x size increase).
No, the sprites are stored as data, there are 4 copies of each sprites 2 pixels-shifted and their corresponding masks.
Actually there are 186 different BIG sprite images, Sprite data take 300KB unpacked.
Mike wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:04 am @majikeyric: nice background of NYC, even if you say it's 'only' a raw convert. 8) I'd prefer a 'thinner' character set for the score display, though.
Thanks! :) ok,I will see the score display later
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

beamrider wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:43 am Any chance this could be made to work with 32K [+ SDIEC] instead of needing UltiMem?
That's impossible unfortunately, Ultimem needs some love too 8) (as being the best VIC20 cartridge).
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Thanks for giving it some love. I always thought more people would want the extra RAM.

Jim
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Looking forward to seeing this completed, sounds like a unique project.

I think your comments re the C16 version of FIst are much too tactful - that was a woeful conversion, in my opinion! For a start, most of the 'in-between' animations were missing, which meant you had no chance to react to any move the opponent made.

BBC version (32K) was slightly nicer to look at and listen to, but also missed key elements like somersaults.

You probably do need more than 40K to make an uncompromising version of IK, and if you're breaking the 40k barrier you might as well go all the way...
3^4 is 81.0000001
Paolopepper
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Paolopepper »

Well it’s hard to talk ill of the old C16, even if it was pointless! Never had one but played Fist on the emulator and it was a bit lacking to say the least

I think given that Fist came out 35 years ago, I’d like to think that more efficient, newer programming techniques would get it down to somewhere near 35k.

The only problem is, it’s only us old duffers keeping the Vic alive! Then only a few of us possess the programming skills to get it done so it’s not looking good! Luckily we have a few heroes on here giving us hope!