Has Zork ever been ported to the Vic?
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Zork?

Post by orion70 »

You really should lurk more :)
http://www.sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web ... 014#p59014 (a good starting point :wink: )
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well, I was on the tablet and didn't have much time, so I pointed you to a starting thread.

To avoid you much hassle - there are in fact two versions of main Infocom adventures (including Zork I-III and others) ported to the VIC:

- one by a German team based in lemon.de, which developed the engine for several platforms including the VIC. I playtested only the VIC Zorks, and all of them hanged randomly after a while, freezing both the emulator and the real machine. Too bad, because it was a great try, and you could also save games. The adventures can be downloaded here.

- one by Denial forum member TNT, who gave beta versions to some testers including myself. The games all worked correctly, both in D64 (loader disk + several story disks, one per adventure) and in D81 (one disk per adventure) format, obtained thanks to Mike's help. Unfortunately, TNT never went on with this project, and the present stage of development doesn't sport a save game feature. TNT's port Infocom adventures in D81 format (SD2IEC friendly) are included in my SD card collection.

Again, it would be great if someone could pick one of these aborted projects and bring it to an end: Scott Adams and Brian Howarth have been widely covered lately, so only Infocom remains as a major gap to fill :( .
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

orion70 wrote:Well, I was on the tablet and didn't have much time, so I pointed you to a starting thread.

To avoid you much hassle - there are in fact two versions of main Infocom adventures (including Zork I-III and others) ported to the VIC:

- one by a German team based in lemon.de, which developed the engine for several platforms including the VIC. I playtested only the VIC Zorks, and all of them hanged randomly after a while, freezing both the emulator and the real machine. Too bad, because it was a great try, and you could also save games. The adventures can be downloaded here.

- one by Denial forum member TNT, who gave beta versions to some testers including myself. The games all worked correctly, both in D64 (loader disk + several story disks, one per adventure) and in D81 (one disk per adventure) format, obtained thanks to Mike's help. Unfortunately, TNT never went on with this project, and the present stage of development doesn't sport a save game feature. TNT's port Infocom adventures in D81 format (SD2IEC friendly) are included in my SD card collection.

Again, it would be great if someone could pick one of these aborted projects and bring it to an end: Scott Adams and Brian Howarth have been widely covered lately, so only Infocom remains as a major gap to fill :( .
The second only lacks a save game feature?
Is the source code available anywhere?
R'zo
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yep I guess the second is more or less complete, except for save game and printer output (well, the latter is not so important of course).

You should refer to the linked threads for more info, and directly to TNT (who AFAIK never provided source code to the testers) for the salsa :).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Bump fro R'zo :)
So you won't pick up the project and finish it with the doomed save game feature (which has been missing for years now)?
Pretty please... :mrgreen:
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

orion70 wrote:Bump fro R'zo :)
So you won't pick up the project and finish it with the doomed save game feature (which has been missing for years now)?
Pretty please... :mrgreen:
I am still planning on working on it. I have not dug to deeply yet. I am starting a new job right now and have been focused on that. As soon as i settle into the new job I will be digging deeper into Zork. It is an awesome game and it deserves to be on the Vic as much as the Vic is an awesome machine and deserves a fully functional version of Zork.
R'zo
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Actually I think I have a little bit of time to poke around right now.
R'zo
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you R'zo for this. Take your time, and good luck for the new job!
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

<slavering like a grue> :twisted:

Can't wait!
BCNU,
Louis