Sprites and Color Clash

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Sprites and Color Clash

Post by cbmeeks »

I admit, I'm still not an expert on the screen modes of the VIC-20. I've played several games but they have mostly been text based or really simple board-type games.

So I was thinking...what are some of the best games out there with lots of moving sprites (and maybe even scrolling) that have the least amount of color clash? Or, color clash that doesn't distract too much.

Thanks
Cat; the other white meat.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Sprites and Color Clash

Post by mrr19121970 »

hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Lots and lots of multicolor games have no color clash at all. An extremely colorful example is Victragic's Frogger ´07.

Hi-res games with monochrome graphics (e.g. Super Starship Attack) obviously have no color clash. Many old school arcade games with a black background have only occasional and hardly noticeable color clashes. I never really took notice of the color clash in Pac-Man/Jelly Monsters for example.

Perhaps the most impressive and hardware-sprite-like game is Victragic's Pitfall conversion. Hi-res character of many colors against a background of many colors.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Thanks for the suggestions!
Perhaps the most impressive and hardware-sprite-like game is Victragic's Pitfall conversion. Hi-res character of many colors against a background of many colors
Is there a link to this game? I've tried searching but I'm not finding it.

I love Pitfall!
Cat; the other white meat.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Also see my post here regarding color-clash and how to avoid it.

Pitfall can be found here.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i always come back to "bandits" as a quite impressing "sprites" game on vic20... it has some clashes though :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Dragonfire by Imagic is in my opinion the most technically impressive one for it's sprite-techniques which predate VIC-20-Pitfall by about 30 years.

Just look at the player "sprite" which is in hires-mode, yet has multiple colors, which are kept even when the player jumps. I think it uses inverse-mode for this.

And the second screen has the treasures with multiple colors (by using the FLI-like technique of changing color-RAM values on different rasterlines).

Add to this that the cart works with both PAL and NTSC (as the code checks which sort of machine you have and is wasting the extra 6 cycles for PAL per rasterline).