VIC Game Club No. 6 – Omegas

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

VIC Game Club No. 6 – Omegas

Post by akator »

Omega Race was a 1981 vector arcade game. Even over three decades later, the VIC-20 version still captures the fun of the arcade original and shines for its playability.

Modern VIC programmers released 2 noteworthy additional titles inspired by Omega Race. In 2004 “Boray” Anders Persson gave us Mega Omega, and in 2009 Robert Hurst released Omega Fury.

Omega Race
Omega Race.png
Omega Race.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
Omega Race High Scores
147750 …… Boray
113150 …… hasseapa
110300 …… Ola H
027500 …… R'zo

Mega Omega
Mega Omega.png
Mega Omega.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
Mega Omega High Scores
28 …… Boray
16 …… akator
15 …… R'zo
12 …… hasseapa

Omega Fury
Omega Fury.png
Omega Fury.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
Omega Fury High Scores
61140 / Protector / Level 15 …… rhurst
27950 / Centurion …… Boray

The ZIP archives contains all 3 games. Omega Race is in CRT format and both Mega Omega and Omega Fury are PRG.
006 - Omegas.zip
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
As always, your posted scores will be added to this first post. Play, discuss, have fun! And remember:
hasseapa wrote:... posting in the old threads should be encouraged. Old players can update their score, new players can post scores, and anyone can leave comments on the games.
Last edited by akator on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: VIC Game Club No. 6 – Omegas

Post by Boray »

Just tried my Mega Omega on VICE 2.4.25 on Linux and there is a very annoying sound on the info screen in between every track, which simply shouldn't be there: http://www.boray.se/pip_pip.mp3

Anyone else getting this?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

^ I'm running 2.4 in Windows 10 and I haven't heard that sound yet.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I don'the know how much time i'll have this month but I will try to squeeze some time in.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Cool "game club" thread. If you beat any of the posted high scores in the Wiki, do be sure to put them in -- gives me something to shoot for. You'd think I'd have a better hand and anticipation having innate knowledge of the underlying programming to post ludicrous scores. Haha, that's where a little randomness sprinkled in to make patterns deviate enough, keeping the players on their toes, without breaking the game rules. For example, I never liked Pac-Man's "all reverse" action from dots and timers. But I do like each monster having unique speed and "attention span" attributes to break patterns and make each play a little different from each other.

The zip in this thread is a good copy, but if you're interested in the last release (2011), which addresses a couple of bugs, have at it from here. Enjoy!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Since I've played the PAL version of Mega Omega quite a lot over the years and already have the high score of 20, I decided to play the NTSC version (on PAL). After a couple of tries I got 19. I played once more, and reached an unsolvable track (which I even couldn't die on) - for the first time ever. So if you have the choice between PAL and NTSC, I think you should play the PAL version. It's a lot more tested over the years and I've never got an unsolvable track like that before.

A few tips: This is more of a strategy game than an action game. You better think out how to best reach the omega before even trying, and then it's often best to stick to the first thought out way, because if you hit a couple of obstacles, then these are out of your way. If you instead change your thought out way after a few tries, then there are other new obstacles you risk hitting.
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

Omega Race was one of my first Vic-20 carts that I got when I received my Vic-20 for Christmas back in 83 or so. Incredible port, probably one of the best in my opinion!!!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

New high score for Mega Omega PAL: 28
Attachments
DSCF6026.JPG
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

^ Impressive! I've only been able to score 16 as a high so far.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

12 on Mega Omega. I lost the screenshot.

Quite fun after a while so I hope to give it at least another go later.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

78050 on Omega Race playing on VICE. Planning to play it on a real Vic with joystick soon, but I suspect it won't be much easier. I find it very hard to maneuver as you don't slow down the way you do in Asteroids. If I accidentally push too hard I find almost impossible to regain control of my ship and avoiding panicking.

I actually began practising, playing on VICE 50% speed - much easier! But not much help when I returned to normal speed again. But it is a good game :) I guess there is potential for much higher scores when you master maneuvering.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Note that Omega Race can be started with either 3 or 5 ships. My record of 206250 (from maybe 10 years back) is with 3 ships. I don't think I will attempt to break that record now because with two kids seeking attention all the time, it's a bit hard to concentrate on a game like that. It's however my #1 favourite Vic-20 game ever. This is me playing once (in case someone haven't seen it before):
https://youtu.be/YpAwCZ6g290
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Omega Race can be played with either joystick or paddles. I prefer joystick.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I tested Omega Fury for the first time and was immediately intrigued by the "hi-res multicolor" look by controlled flickering of some of the enemy ships/weapons. It looks very convincing and exactly the way I have imagined an almost arcade perfect Galaxian could be made. (Would be even more fitting in Galaxian as the aliens really are bugs with wings.)

No score to post yet but the game is much easier to control than Omega Race due to slower acceleration and the ability to brake. Seems very playable. The only thing I didn't really like was the puny shots and the accompanying chirpy sound :lol:

I have had a few tries on Omega Race: 77800 (default 3 lives). Extremely hard to control but I adore the graphics and the fanfare.