Moderator: Moderators

rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Re: VIC Game Club No. 6 – Omegas

Post by rhurst »

Level 15 Protector:
rhurst-omega-fury-protector-15.gif (8.69 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
Good, but not the highest. :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Played Omega Race a bit today. I sure feel a bit rusty. It was years since I last played it. But here is at least a score for you to try to beat. (Joystick, 3 ships)
Attachments
DSCF6058.JPG
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I also played Omega Furu. I didn't get a very high score, 13000 something. I have only tried it once or twice before. It feels like Omega Race in slow motion and with a bit different steering. Having to shoot every enemy a number of times with a very limited number of shoots available makes it a bit frustrating, being used to Omega Race. I do think however that a total Omega Race-beginner could prefer Omega Furu over Omega Race. Omega Furu is a nicely made program. Only problem is me not geting hooked.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Gave it another go...
Attachments
IMG_20170608_203335.jpg
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I was able to get a little play time in.

My high score on Omega race is 27500. The game is very difficult but addictive. Getting all little better at it.

On mega Omega i've made it to level 11. The ability to make great games that only require the push of a single button is amazing.

Next I will have to give Omega fury some good play.

I wish I had a working joystick right now. I have Omega race on cart and it is calling to me :)
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Improved my score a bit...
Attachments
IMG_20170615_180603.jpg
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Made some progress on Omega Race: 110 300 (3 lives default setting).

I played it on a real Vic with a joystick now - what a difference! Much more enjoyable :D I felt in control and dared to improvise, perhaps too much as It still took me a while to improve my VICE/keyboard scores.

Weirdly, If I push gently forward on my joystick I can hear the thrust-sound without moving (like revving up with the clutch disengaged). I find this impossible to recreate on VICE. However quickly I try to tap my PC-keyboard, I always start moving immediately. The nuance of the control is lost and makes for a very inferior experience.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

That reminds me of when I tried my joystick contact test program. I'ts impossible to get anything but perfect contact in VICE if I remember correctly.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Hmm... very interesting!

Btw, enjoyed your video of Omega Race playing. I need to practice much more to get that level of skills, but it made me appreciate the game even more. I found it fascinating to watch videos of the arcade original and other home versions as well. The same approaches seem to work on most versions, but the Vic version certainly seem to be the one closest to the original. But I should really play the C64-version too with my Tac-2 and see how it compares. It must have gone 30 years at least since I last played it.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Too busy this month to really delve into these fine games :(
But I did improve my Omega Race score somewhat - to 113150.
omega race 113150.png
omega race 113150.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 7899 times
The steering and bouncy play area, make it a game that can be played in many different ways and it feels like I have only scratched its surface.

Omega Furys seems very complex too, and I will have to get back to it.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

hasseapa wrote:Too busy this month to really delve into these fine games :(
Yep, I'm having that problem as well. But there's no fixed time limit, so I'm hoping to catch up in the future, put some time in, and post some scores. However, I doubt that I'll ever be able to top some of the scores already posted :D
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Yeah, I think posting in the old threads should be encouraged. Old players can update their score, new players can post scores, and anyone can leave comments on the games.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

My new high score on mega Omega - 13
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Made level 15 on mega omega.