VIC Game Club No. 4 – Modern Dungeon Crawlers

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: VIC Game Club No. 4 – Modern Dungeon Crawlers

Post by hasseapa »

Now I finally get it. Ankhs can be found only at level (as in depth) 3. When you have grabbed an Ankh you move on to cave 2, level 1.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

^ Heh, that means I only made it to Level 1, Cave 4 :D
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Realms of Omari deceptively difficult. At first it doesn't seem like much but turns out to be surprisingly impressive. It's made it's way into my Vic-20 top ten I not top 5. All in only 1k as well... AWESOME GAME!!!
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I moved on to Serpent Caves. Beat it on my second attempt.

I had test played it before but never gave it a serious play. I found it to be fairly easy. The snakes move at random (your more likely to run into one by trying to dodge it) and only move when you move.

I like the idea of the game but I feel it could be a little more of a challenge.

I will now be moving along to a personal favorite... Demons Of Dex!
R'zo
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Realms of Omari: 510 p.

Nice game! Seems very easy at first but soon gets straight out infernal.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

R'zo wrote:I moved on to Serpent Caves. Beat it on my second attempt.
Wow! Agreed that it isn't a difficult game, but it took me well over a few dozen tries for me to beat it.

Is this a high score or a low score game? It feels like your 24 is a better score than my 32 :D
Serpent Caves Retro Edition akator 32.png
Serpent Caves Retro Edition akator 32.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Serpent Caves is too slow (response lag) and too random for my liking. The PETSCII-graphics worked great and I am very much for its minimalistic "fog of war"-based concept. But there is too little skill involved. Would perhaps work better if the snakes did not move randomly.

Made it out with 16 diamonds.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Demons of Dex seems good but complicated. I found the instructions here https://github.com/renaak/demons/blob/master/README.md

Will give it a try later.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

The Serpent Caves "diamond count" so far is in multiples of 8.

16 …… hasseapa
24 …… R'zo
32 …… akator

This pattern must mean something :D
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

akator wrote:The Serpent Caves "diamond count" so far is in multiples of 8.

16 …… hasseapa
24 …… R'zo
32 …… akator

Interesring.
R'zo
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

akator wrote:The Serpent Caves "diamond count" so far is in multiples of 8.

16 …… hasseapa
24 …… R'zo
32 …… akator

That settles it then... lower is obviously better in a retro context :wink:
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

My high score so far from Demons of Dex.
I enjoy the more action/adventure feel this game gives to the world of Vic Roguelikes.

R'zo
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I probably won't have time to make it through all the games this month, but chose Exit Plan Z as my second game as it seemed unique. And it certainly is :D I am however having problems with the battles - I find them incredibly difficult (and I am playing on the Childs Play level!!!) I have only managed level 3 and 445 p. When a Zombie gets me, it's generally Game Over. My only chance seems to be to get them with my flame thrower before, but that too I find very hard.

Either I need a lot more practice or I my approach is fundamentally wrong :/

The concept is very nice though and I actually think it looks surprisingly good too!
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Ola H wrote:I probably won't have time to make it through all the games this month, but chose Exit Plan Z as my second game as it seemed unique. And it certainly is :D I am however having problems with the battles - I find them incredibly difficult (and I am playing on the Childs Play level!!!) I have only managed level 3 and 445 p. When a Zombie gets me, it's generally Game Over. My only chance seems to be to get them with my flame thrower before, but that too I find very hard.

Either I need a lot more practice or I my approach is fundamentally wrong :/

The concept is very nice though and I actually think it looks surprisingly good too!
What are you playing on. Vic or emulation? If emulation I suggest using the number pad joy stick controls. I have found modern pc controllers to be a little touchy. Second best to real vic I have found is vice android emulation. The touch screen control seem to work out really nice.

It is important to only tap the js in the direction of the zombie to hit it. The zombie will only attack under 2 conditions.
-1 you don't hit him in time, and you have plenty of time to work with until you get past
level 12 or so in relatively difficult, impossible or endless nightmare mode.
-2 you strike in the wrong direction. Occasionally when this happens the zombie will
seem to turn into a ninja zombie. Jumping around you delivering several hits. I have
Never been able to figure out why this happens or why it only happens some of the
time. This ended up giving the game a nice extra little difficulty that it seemed to be
lacking.
To the point... if you hold the joystick in the direction of the zombie it the will read it as the wrong direction after the zombie moves and a miss. So tap don't hold. After all if you just stood there just holding out your random blunt object after hitting a zombie and not killing it it would probably just walk around and bite you.

There are only 5 levels in child's play so your almost there. I think it took me few days to beat it on child's play, a couple of weeks to beat it on cake walk and i'm still trying to beat it on relatively difficult.

I am glad you enjoy it :D This was my second game an I think came out pretty good.
R'zo
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I play on Vice with the numpad but without the diagonals defined. It will probaly be much easier if I play with the numpad default setting, as you suggest, so I can hit the diagonals with just one button.

But my main problem is the Ninja zombiez :D and now I understand why. I strike out wildly in all directions like I'm trying to swat a fly! I guess I will try to stay calm and tap gently instead 8)