VIC Game Club No. 4 – Modern Dungeon Crawlers

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: VIC Game Club No. 4 – Modern Dungeon Crawlers

Post by Ola H »

1724 p and made it to the chopper (but didn't have enough fuel to escape) in my first attempt with my new approach :D
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Ola H wrote:1724 p and made it to the chopper (but didn't have enough fuel to escape) in my first attempt with my new approach :D
AWESOME!!! :D
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Yes, I made it to the military base! 1817 p

Before that I made it to the chopper with 1683 p, but crashed and died two days later. Really, really cool with the story elements and how your actions affect the outcome. So many fresh ideas in this game :D

The battles are interesting too - I imagine they are very instinctive when you play with a joustick but with a keyboard they feel more like PS2-era quick time events and force me to focus intensly.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Multiple endings were one of my main goals with this game. I haven't played a whole lot of vic games with multiple endings. I also wanted to create something a little different then most of the rogues out there. I wanted to do a survival horror theme of which I have also seen very few of for the vic. I wanted it to have an action adventure feel so I didn't want to go with a turn based system, i'm not a big fan of the rogues where you just watch the battles play out when an enemy is encountered or the ones where you just mash a single button as fast as possible. I am fairly new to programing and writing this in basic so I knew I wasn't going to be able to pull off a smooth real time in game battle system. So I decided to takeep the encounters to a separate screen like a turn based but with an action based system where you could take on an individual enemy at a time. Thus forth the "Whack a' Z" battle system was born. It has taken some criticism but I like it. :)

My other goals were to pull off my first user defined graphics and make a game that got ridiculously difficult but was still playable and fun.

The joystick is more instinctive but also more touchy. The atari js requires precision, a little tilt off and you hit the wrong direction. X box controllers analog stick is so hypersensitive it is almost impossible
R'zo
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I'm getting the hang of it! Playing on level 2 (cakewalk) 5162p in Exit Plan Z 8)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Ola H wrote:I'm getting the hang of it! Playing on level 2 (cakewalk) 5162p in Exit Plan Z 8)
Awesome :D

I don't know if I'll have much more time to play this month as well.
I highly recommend that you find time to give Demons of Dex a run. I don't think I can say enough that it is one of my favorite vic rogues. It's a shame what happened with phvic :( , I really wanted to see more from him.
R'zo
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Having little time I decided to give Demons of Dex a skip (it does seem good and has been put on my to-do list) and instead give Exit Plan Z a try beyond my first glance.

I read the previous comments about using the num-pad for diagonal fighting and played it several times on difficulty 2. I made it to the chopper two times, but never with enough fuel to make it to the base. My best score was 5861.

My positive first impression was reinforced. It has a LOT of interesting ideas and I like the fighting part too. Just as I suspected, it is a great game to play for score and it could have been a really fun competition game if more had participated.

It can, however, also be incredibly frustrating at times - especially when you start a level in a crammed area with little or no lighting to assist you.

Some ideas that may be worth trying:

-More light at the beginning of a level. AND/OR More light at early levels, less at later ones. AND/OR More light at crammed levels, less at more open-area ones.
-Color coded zombies, key, and exit so that the challenge is shifted from scanning the area to memorizing it.
-Sound when successfully picking up an item (as it can often be hard to know if the key/fire press was successfully registered).

But all in all, a big thumbs up from me :)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

hasseapa wrote: My positive first impression was reinforced. It has a LOT of interesting ideas and I like the fighting part too. Just as I suspected, it is a great game to play for score and it could have been a really fun competition game if more had participated.

It can, however, also be incredibly frustrating at times - especially when you start a level in a crammed area with little or no lighting to assist you.

Some ideas that may be worth trying:

-More light at the beginning of a level. AND/OR More light at early levels, less at later ones. AND/OR More light at crammed levels, less at more open-area ones.
-Color coded zombies, key, and exit so that the challenge is shifted from scanning the area to memorizing it.
-Sound when successfully picking up an item (as it can often be hard to know if the key/fire press was successfully registered).

But all in all, a big thumbs up from me :)
Thank you, i've had the thought of a sequel stirring in my head, will definitely keep all of that in mind ☺
R'zo
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I could not leave Realm of Omari without actually picking up an ankh so I had a last go. Well, I needed lots of tries, but I made it finally. I had not checked my score for a while when two sudden deaths happened in a row, and as the game instantly restarts and does not display the high score, I am not sure of the score :? My score when I entered cave 2 was 1480 so that will do. I did not last long anyway...
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I have say that Omari would be my favorite out of this month's games. It is fun, challenging and unique. To be some simple and yet have such great depth... ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! I was hoping that this game of the month club would introduce me to unique and fun vic games that I have never heard of. Realms of Omari is most deffinately a jewel :D

Thank you. :)
R'zo