Question about prg and D64 games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Question about prg and D64 games

Post by Barney »

Hello everybody, I have a question. I'm going through my enormous list of Prg and D64 games and I have a big problem. I'm tired of finding tons of games that crash or are in a foreign language. Does anybody out there know which games fall into the category of "don't work" and "foreign language"? Thanks.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Question about prg and D64 games

Post by Bobbi »

Those that don't work could be NTSC vs PAL issues.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Or wrong RAM configuration: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4141.

Edit: I see you originated that thread in 2010, so you should be aware of those issues.

Without any examples given by you, however, I cannot imagine how you'd come to the assessment, that there are a lot of *non working* programs/games around. I'd concur with the notion that most programs crash without any hint of what went wrong, when there's not a usable RAM configuration active - but as I wrote at that time, that's something you just need to be aware of when you're using a VIC-20. In that sense, the situation hasn't changed. There's still GB20 around, when you're using VICE on Windows; on real h/w or without GB20 you'll have to organize your programs for yourself by RAM requirements.

As for the request about a "blacklist" of games in a "foreign language" -- sorry. That sounds for me like *a little bit* of language chauvinism. For sure the majority of programs feature English screen texts, but the programmer could also be from a non English-speaking country and who are you to deny him the right to do the screen texts in his own language?

What I concur with once again: many games of that time don't feature any in-game help regarding the game controls at all, i.e. without game manual you're completely lost. In that case it wouldn't even matter in what language the screen texts are. Happened often enough to me, too, when I started up a game with some obscure choice of keyboard controls. You just see the title screen, maybe even work out how to get into the game, but within the game you're already stuck at the start with no hint what to do. Unless I find a compelling reason to research the 'net for instructions, that's probably the last time I started up the game.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Look, I'm American and I speak English. Quite often I run a program that ends up being a text adventure in German. That's wonderful that there are games in different languages, but in some cases, English is the preferred language for me. I didn't mean for it to sound chauvinistic in any way.