akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

VIC Game Club No. 2 – The Count

Post by akator »

The Count.png
The Count.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
The Count.zip
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Remember to enter SYS 32592 and press return to start the game.

Because The Count is a text adventure, everyone is going to progress at a different pace. Feel free to comment as you play, but assume that anything following this first post is a spoiler.

If you get stuck, try this walkthrough.

Play, discuss, have fun! And remember:
hasseapa wrote:... posting in the old threads should be encouraged. Old players can update their score, new players can post scores, and anyone can leave comments on the games.
Last edited by akator on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litody
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: VIC Game Club No. 2 – The Count

Post by litody »

I've played some of Adventureland, but none of the other Scott Adams' adventures on the VIC, so this is a great excuse to play one them. Time to get the graph paper out and start mapping :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Hmm, I can't seem to attach these images to VICE (it says invalid cartridge image).
Is playing it in Yoho cheating?
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

litody wrote:I've played some of Adventureland, but none of the other Scott Adams' adventures on the VIC, so this is a great excuse to play one them. Time to get the graph paper out and start mapping :)
I found some graph paper as well :D

Personally, I've been having a bit of trouble with my commands. It took me what seems like forever (but only about 10 minutes) to figure out "raise" and "lower" instead of "up," "down," or some variation.
Kweepa wrote:Hmm, I can't seem to attach these images to VICE (it says invalid cartridge image).
Is playing it in Yoho cheating?
I got them to work in VICE with:
File -> Attach Cartridge Image-> (uncheck) Reset on cart change
File -> Attach Cartridge Image-> Add to Generic Cartridge -> ... image at $4000 -> load image marked 4000
File -> Attach Cartridge Image-> Add to Generic Cartridge -> ... image at $6000 -> load image marked 6000
type SYS 32592
return

But if you can't get VICE to work, don't have a real cart, and don't have a Berh-Bonz, I don't think playing it in Yoho is cheating.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Maybe it works starting the cart (or image) on Maxi-Edit as well...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

If you feel the need to refresh your text adventuring skills this manual should come in handy.
http://www.mocagh.org/ai/scottadams-vic-manual.pdf
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Is YOHO fully working? I never got around to trying it.

Tonight I made it to the start of day 2. I died many times before making it this far.

I think The Count is amusing, but the limited descriptions require a ton of imagination and I'm out of practice :D
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Sounds like fun. I'very played this one before but I don't
think I'very gotten as far as to make ithe out of the first room.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Been playing it for half an hour this night. Not stuck yet! Will continue later this week.

I'm playing it on Vice from the Mega-Cart.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Finally got Yoho from my old laptop, and started playing The Count.
It's certainly full of typos! Also very directionless. No introduction, just start exploring.
yoho.zip
(96.08 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

If you want to play the cartridge version then attaching a megacart image is probably the easiest way to get it working on VICE.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

akator wrote: I think The Count is amusing, but the limited descriptions require a ton of imagination and I'm out of practice :D
As a kid I preferred the brief descriptions of VIC-adventures. I found the long-winded texts of certain C64-adventures more of a pain. No doubt, this was in part because of my limited English reading comprehension, but I still think the terse texts of VIC-adventures work well as you do fill in with your own imagination. More text also somehow dilutes the game factor. But all things considered, I probably would have liked slightly longer descriptions. Perhaps it is still a matter of reading comprehension as I had to look up few words already. For example, "dumb-waiter"...
akator wrote: Personally, I've been having a bit of trouble with my commands. It took me what seems like forever (but only about 10 minutes) to figure out "raise" and "lower" instead of "up," "down," or some variation.
Yes, the limited command interpreter is more of an issue to me. But for the case above, the ubiquitous HELP command actually works :)
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I created a VICE snapshot for the start of the game that should work for others. If someone could verify it works, I'll add it to the first post to make loading the game easier.
The Count - Start of Game VICE Snapshot.zip
(37.48 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Another session last night. It's much more intricate than most of the text adventures I have played on my VIC. Lots of juggling with the inventory and finding the correct order of moving about to minimize the number of moves/time spent.

I guess I am stuck now. The first night is going on forever and I can't figure out how to last it without harm done. I have the means to stay "peppy" but it won't last long enough.

There are a thousand minor details I could complain about but I won't and I actually like the game a lot.