*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Work in progress: REALMS OF QUEST V

Post by Ghislain »

R'zo wrote:I get more and more excited about this game with every post you make. Looking beautiful. :D
Thanks all. I'm taking a break from the coding a little bit so I can create some graphics content. I didn't have much time today, so I just worked on the hobbit PC portraits:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
rubygolem
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by rubygolem »

Wow. All of these graphic portraits look fantastic! Realms 5 is going to be wild. :D
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

The portraits all look wonderful. Imagine playing a Vic-20 RPG with graphics like that 1983 :shock:
So far, the dwarf is my favorite!
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Ola H wrote:The portraits all look wonderful. Imagine playing a Vic-20 RPG with graphics like that 1983 :shock:
So far, the dwarf is my favorite!
Thanks all. I'm tempted to change the (c)opyright date to 1985 or so and then put it out there as a long lost CRPG that was produced for the VIC-20 ... a retro-forgery!

Here are the portraits of the Dunedain:
realms6.jpg
realms5.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

And gnolls:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Games like this, had they existed in the 1980s, would have sold VIC-20s.
I mean they would have been the "killer apps" - people would have bought a VIC-20 just to be able to play them.
If games of this quality had been available at the time, the VIC-20 might even have lasted a few more years on Commodore's manufacturing lines before being discontinued.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:Games like this, had they existed in the 1980s, would have sold VIC-20s.
I mean they would have been the "killer apps" - people would have bought a VIC-20 just to be able to play them.
If games of this quality had been available at the time, the VIC-20 might even have lasted a few more years on Commodore's manufacturing lines before being discontinued.
Thanks! Here are the portraits for the gnomes:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:Games like this, had they existed in the 1980s, would have sold VIC-20s.
It's all about pushing the limits of the system nowadays. The VIC-20 was Commodore's second most prolific 8 bit computer for the amount of software that had come out for it. It just became overshadowed by the C64 only a short while after it's initial release.

I remember seeing some CRPG games advertised for the VIC-20 (Dark Dungeons, Escape From Mount Drash) in COMPUTE!'s Gazette and I tried to imagine how these games looked like. I really liked the marketing for the VIC-20 giving the impression that the machine could perform magic (well it can, you just have to know how to use it).

I keep going back to the VIC-20 because I love the aesthetic of the wider pixels, square screen and simple but effective sound chip. There's a certain authenticity to the look and feel of this early 1980s machine.

Let's say hypothetically that a game on par with Ultima III come out for the VIC-20 back in the day, but it required a disk drive and 32K of RAM expansion memory--would people have bought these additional peripherals for the sake of playing such a game on their system, I wonder. Near the end of the VIC-20's commercial life, you could obtain such memory expansion and even an 80 column cartridge
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Goblin portraits:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kobold player portraits:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
rubygolem
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by rubygolem »

Kobolds look awesome! 8)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I like the female goblin.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks all. Here are the Lizard-Man player portraits:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

And Ogres:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Is this going to be available commercially? I think I'd like to buy the full boxed package, if so. I only bought the disk version of ROQIII.

As to whether people would have bought a disk drive and 32K RAM expansion to play games like this....

Probably not one the C64 was out....it didn't make sense to upgrade the VIC-20 when the C64 was a more cost effective "upgrade".

But there was probably a short window when it might have been a good move for Commodore to have released a slightly updated VIC with more RAM built in after RAM got cheaper.

Buying a disk drive for a VIC-20 would not have been wasted money because it could be kept and used when one upgraded to one of Commodore's later 8-bits.

I would like to think that Sword of Fargoal sold some VICs - it required 16K. But that's probably because I love that game so much on the VIC-20.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com