*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Work in progress: REALMS OF QUEST V

Post by Ghislain »

Took a break yesterday (life gets in the way), did more images today.

Pic of the day:
realms5.jpg
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Nobody responds to this thread anymore. Maybe nobody really wants to play it when I'm finished? :lol:

I'll play it though, since I'm really making this for me. :twisted: Realms I was made at a time where there was only an audience of two (myself and my little brother who helped design the maps).

Once I'm finally finished, I wonder how hard it would be to convert it to Android? My intent would be to keep the aesthetics of the VIC-20 (as far as the graphics go) but using touch controls on the tablet. I know Java and C (at least the syntax, there's probably several frameworks I'd have to catch up to speed on), but maybe there is a dev engine that makes it relatively easy enough to port an "old school" game like this to modern tablets.

Pic of the day:
realms5.jpg
64 monster images done so far, 75 to go!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I think there are many of us watching with anticipation. I'm certainly looking forward to when it is finished, I can't quite believe that this is possible with such an old system. Shame you didn't create this in the 80's, you could probably made your fortune with it.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I'm following this thread with a lot of respect. I envy your patience with this huge task of finding and converting graphics, I'm sure I would have quit this project as soon as I would have realized how much work it is. Realms V will set a very high mark for every other future RPG for the VIC!
rubygolem
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by rubygolem »

Yeah, +1 what srowe and Schlowski said. Realms of Quest V is shaping up to be the ultimate VIC-20 crpg. :D

Also, converting it to android would bring in a whole new group of players to the series, and I think it's a great idea. It'd likely bring in allot more $ releasing it on Android than on Vic-20, although it should definitely have a Vic-20 release also. I've got an Android so would love to play it on both Vic-20 and Android if that were to happen, that'd be spectacular!
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

srowe wrote:I think there are many of us watching with anticipation. I'm certainly looking forward to when it is finished, I can't quite believe that this is possible with such an old system. Shame you didn't create this in the 80's, you could probably made your fortune with it.
Well, I do have the advantages of modern tools like GIMP and ca65 and it would have been very difficult for me to track down Mike for some help on chasing the raster beam. And I didn't even have a tape drive back then. I attempted to make "Ultimate Quest" back in 1988-89 on a friend's Commodore 64 (I didn't have my own). I (finally) finished it few years ago and it was featured on Side 2 of Realms IV.
realms5.jpg
But yeah, a big CRPG for the VIC-20 in the 1980s would have been pretty cool.
Schlowski wrote:I'm following this thread with a lot of respect. I envy your patience with this huge task of finding and converting graphics, I'm sure I would have quit this project as soon as I would have realized how much work it is. Realms V will set a very high mark for every other future RPG for the VIC!
I don't really have any urges to quit working on it just yet. Actually, working on the images is kind of fun. But I do work on it at a leisurely pace (about an hour a day) admittedly. Once I have the 139 planned monster images completed (or first draft run of them -- I will probably revise a few of them), I'll get started on the combat module.
rubygolem wrote:Also, converting it to android would bring in a whole new group of players to the series, and I think it's a great idea. It'd likely bring in allot more $ releasing it on Android than on Vic-20, although it should definitely have a Vic-20 release also. I've got an Android so would love to play it on both Vic-20 and Android if that were to happen, that'd be spectacular!
I get asked all the time about making games for modern platforms. But in a sense, the graphics, music and world design for the VIC-20 version could also serve as content for a mobile app game should I decide to make it. But yes, the VIC-20 version comes first.

Pic of the day:
realms6.jpg
rubygolem
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by rubygolem »

Ankheg looks great and with black background needs no modification.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

We all are in great anticipation. I've been waiting for a game of this level for the vic since before you announced it. I try to check the thread every few days but don't neccecarilly have anything to comment on with the exception of saying how absolutely awesome it is looking but I don't want to be to repretative.

As far as an android version goes. I have shown the demos to a good hand full of people who in turn have been begging me to set it up for them with emulation on their phones when the game is released. If you made an android version I know at least 5 non vic 20ers who would be willing to pay for it at work alone.
If you didn' t want to spend to much time updating it with modern code you could always package it with emulation and set it up to autorun. I've been pondering the idea of doing this for a few of my games myself.

Back to the game. It is still looking more and more awesome with every post. You are deffinately cranking more out graphically than has ever been done for a single vic game to my knowledge. I'm sure your probably breaking a few other records as far as vic gaming goes ad deffinately setting new standards.

As someone who main focus is writing rpgs I am honestly quite intimidated. But i've only been doing this for a little over two years. I have to keep telling myself that there is no way I could be expected to compete on your level.

That being said I find your work here to be very inspirational. It makes me work that much harder to make my own games that much better.

Thank you. :D

I am looking forward to wasting hours upon hours of my life away playing this game.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

R'zo wrote:We all are in great anticipation. I've been waiting for a game of this level for the vic since before you announced it. I try to check the thread every few days but don't neccecarilly have anything to comment on with the exception of saying how absolutely awesome it is looking but I don't want to be to repretative.

As far as an android version goes. I have shown the demos to a good hand full of people who in turn have been begging me to set it up for them with emulation on their phones when the game is released. If you made an android version I know at least 5 non vic 20ers who would be willing to pay for it at work alone.
If you didn' t want to spend to much time updating it with modern code you could always package it with emulation and set it up to autorun. I've been pondering the idea of doing this for a few of my games myself.

Back to the game. It is still looking more and more awesome with every post. You are deffinately cranking more out graphically than has ever been done for a single vic game to my knowledge. I'm sure your probably breaking a few other records as far as vic gaming goes ad deffinately setting new standards.

As someone who main focus is writing rpgs I am honestly quite intimidated. But i've only been doing this for a little over two years. I have to keep telling myself that there is no way I could be expected to compete on your level.

That being said I find your work here to be very inspirational. It makes me work that much harder to make my own games that much better.

Thank you. :D

I am looking forward to wasting hours upon hours of my life away playing this game.
Thank you for the great endorsement, I'm humbled. Your music you compose is great and provides amazing atmosphere to this game.

I hope it will be one of the better RPGs ever made. 10 characters and 10 NPC spots (total party size of 20) would have to set the 8-bit RPG record.

I still keep plugging away. I now have 72 monster portraits. Here is the pic of the day:
realms5.jpg
I'll see what will be the most cost effective way to port this game to modern mobile/tablet format once the VIC-20 version is completed. Ultimately, I probably have to rewrite the code if I want to associate user touch screen commands with menu options.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Pic of the day:
realms5.jpg
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I love the look of all the portraits. And the game seems mind-bogglingly ambitious! I'm not a huge CRPG-fan (Times of Lore excepted, I always preferred text adventures and game books like Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf to both table-top RPGs and CRPGs) but I'd still buy a copy without thinking twice if this is releasead commercially on disk :D

If it had been released back in, say, 1984-85 I would probably have sold my C64 to be able to afford it 8)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Ola H wrote:I love the look of all the portraits. And the game seems mind-bogglingly ambitious! I'm not a huge CRPG-fan (Times of Lore excepted, I always preferred text adventures and game books like Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf to both table-top RPGs and CRPGs) but I'd still buy a copy without thinking twice if this is releasead commercially on disk :D

If it had been released back in, say, 1984-85 I would probably have sold my C64 to be able to afford it 8)
Thank you. It would have been pretty cool to see VIC-20 versions of Ultima I-III or Witzardy I-III being done for the VIC-20 but the minimum requirements for these were something like 48K, 40 column screen along with a disk drive being the absolute minimum requirements for a computer to even being considered to be ported over.

Pic of the day. The mockup I posted at the beginning of the thread has now become reality:

realms5.jpg
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I would imagine that the cost of peripherals might have prevented games of this magnitude from being produced in the vics day. If you did't have a disk drive and 32k expansion you would have had to spend another $200 just to play the game.

I'very been thinking a lot lately about what could be done if you built a game into a cart like ultimem. You could place dungeon levels, graphics, enemy stats, text, storyline etc. Into over 100k of flash ram/rom that could be switched in and out on command.

How huge could that game be and with practically 0 load times.
R'zo
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

R'zo wrote:I would imagine that the cost of peripherals might have prevented games of this magnitude from being produced in the vics day. If you did't have a disk drive and 32k expansion you would have had to spend another $200 just to play the game.

I'very been thinking a lot lately about what could be done if you built a game into a cart like ultimem. You could place dungeon levels, graphics, enemy stats, text, storyline etc. Into over 100k of flash ram/rom that could be switched in and out on command.

How huge could that game be and with practically 0 load times.
The game loads pretty fast right now with a uIEC SD card reader and SoftJiffy enabled. I'm designing the game with VIC-20 + disk drive support in mind, which will be the last thing I work on once the SD card version (which will really be put in a D81 file because there should be less than 288 files overall) is finished.

It will be nice to have 2 physical floppy disks with printed labels included with the game packaging, instruction manual and printed map.

I coukd eschew disk support altogether and make the game bigger than 650K--but I don't have the time to make any content greater than that. The game's total filesize stands right now at 165K -- so I am 25% finished.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Ghislain wrote:
The game loads pretty fast right now with a uIEC SD card reader and SoftJiffy enabled. I'm designing the game with VIC-20 + disk drive support in mind, which will be the last thing I work on once the SD card version (which will really be put in a D81 file because there should be less than 288 files overall) is finished.

It will be nice to have 2 physical floppy disks with printed labels included with the game packaging, instruction manual and printed map.

I coukd eschew disk support altogether and make the game bigger than 650K--but I don't have the time to make any content greater than that. The game's total filesize stands right now at 165K -- so I am 25% finished.
Indeed... and to do anything like this with your current game would require tearing the current code apart and rebuilding it. That would be ridiculous for how beautifully it is coming along.

I was just ranting off of a daydream.
I would like to undertake such a project but I have to learn a little more about programing in ml as well as hardware first. I also have a few other projects going that I need to wrap up before I can think about trying to cram anything else into my schedule. I would also like to produce it in cart form designed based on the idea of how you ultimem functions. Assuming I could produce a game worth the price of the cart.
It would also be a project that I would not be able to undertake alone unless I wanted it to take years to complete.
R'zo