*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Work in progress: REALMS OF QUEST V

Post by Ghislain »

Mike wrote:
Ghislain wrote:The first one (title screen) is 22*25, but the second one is 23*26 -- which is the one we're really concerned about. It looks a little bit cut off in the upper right corner there, but it looks like it's still useable. The NTSC screen size has less room to play with than PAL.
Not much else we can do about this. If I decrement the horizontal positioning register by one (including the then necessary changes to the raster routine) the entire view would shift four pixels to the left, and then it would crop the corners on the left-hand side.

As long as no-one complains over an entire missing row or column (but with enough leeway to the other side) I suppose we can leave it at that. :)
I say leave it as is, as well.

Those TV photos bring back memories. As much as I find modern flatscreen TVs more convenient, there is something about CRTs that give a certain warmth and glow to a TV or computer game image.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Ghislain wrote:
Mike wrote:
Ghislain wrote:The first one (title screen) is 22*25, but the second one is 23*26 -- which is the one we're really concerned about. It looks a little bit cut off in the upper right corner there, but it looks like it's still useable. The NTSC screen size has less room to play with than PAL.
Not much else we can do about this. If I decrement the horizontal positioning register by one (including the then necessary changes to the raster routine) the entire view would shift four pixels to the left, and then it would crop the corners on the left-hand side.

As long as no-one complains over an entire missing row or column (but with enough leeway to the other side) I suppose we can leave it at that. :)
I say leave it as is, as well.

Those TV photos bring back memories. As much as I find modern flatscreen TVs more convenient, there is something about CRTs that give a certain warmth and glow to a TV or computer game image.
I enjoy playing my vic on that little guy. It feels so much more authentic than on a flat screen.

I don't think anyone will complain about the 2 or 3 pixels getting cut off. It does not look like it should interfere with any of the game graphics. Just a little bit of empty window space.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I will try to post up some pics of it on my Vic soon if you need it.
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

At the risk of engaging in feature creep, I figure that since side 1 of the game deals with the booting the game, starting at the castle (for character creation and equipping your new party) as well as traveling on the world map, I figure there is just enough room to include 32 portraits of the 16 races (male and female) to be shown while you create and roll a new character:
realms5.jpg
Do you guys think that putting in a feature like this be a bit excessive?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Ghislain wrote: Do you guys think that putting in a feature like this be a bit excessive?
Maybe.
realms5.jpg
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

If you have room for it and it doesn't take away from game play, nothing is excesive.
R'zo
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, precisely. The speech in Impossible Mission was added because it was something Dennis wanted to try out and there was room left in the code to accommodate it, and it's one of the first things people remember about the game! It just adds to the experience and "professionalism" of the presentation if there's room for it :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Of course I'm going to cram as much graphics (thanks to Mike's excellent tools) and music (that R'zo is working on) as possible. If you can provide large quantities of really beautiful content, then why not do it. Something like this has never been done for the VIC-20 platform and I want to see it through. Realms IV had a large quantity of digitized images, but they were just in black and white. This time, they will be that much better.

I revised the abilities for the 16 races -- I found some of them far too powerful and I was worried that people would just create a party made up entirely of Eldars and Dunedains. So for the sake of balance, here are their revised numbers:
realms5.jpg
Last edited by Ghislain on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Just created PC portraits for the elf characters:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

And Eldars:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

These portraits are gorgeous!
The only one I didn't like so much is the really tilted head, but I think that's because the aspect ratio of the screenshot is wrong.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kweepa wrote:These portraits are gorgeous!
The only one I didn't like so much is the really tilted head, but I think that's because the aspect ratio of the screenshot is wrong.
Thank you!

I just finished my work on the dwarf portraits:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kweepa wrote:These portraits are gorgeous!
How about this one:
realms5.jpg
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I get more and more excited about this game with every post you make. Looking beautiful. :D
R'zo
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Looking at the female portraits make me want to be in an 80's TV movie, with those digital creatures popping out of the screen :mrgreen: .