VIC Game Club No. 1 – Qix Inspired Games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Which is your favorite Qix inspired VIC title?

Shark Attack (1982)
29%
Slap Dap (1983)
21%
Squeeze (1983)
43%
Other (elaborate in a post)
7%

Total votes: 14

akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

VIC Game Club No. 1 – Qix Inspired Games

Post by akator »

The goal of the 1981 arcade game Qix was to block off a majority of the playfield while avoiding enemies. None of the VIC games in this round are straightforward clones, but they are clearly inspired by the arcade title and each offers a slightly different take on the concept.

Shark Attack (1982)
Slap Dab.png
Slap Dab.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Shark Attack.zip
(134.8 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Shark Attack High Scores
14550 ..... Ola H
12805 ..... English Invader
11375 ..... hasseapa
10795 ..... akator
04775 ..... litody
03790 ..... R'zo

Slap Dap (1983)
Shark Attack.png
Shark Attack.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Slap Dab.zip
(106.77 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Slap Dab High Scores
206710 ..... hasseapa
154910 ..... litody
101890 ..... Ola H
041980 ..... akator
018290 ..... R'zo

Squeeze (1983)
Squeeze.png
Squeeze.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Squeeze.zip
(97.98 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Squeeze High Scores
9116 ..... hasseapa
6876 ..... litody
4277 ..... Boray
2674 ..... Ola H
2383 ..... akator
0220 ..... R'zo

As always, your posted scores will be added to this first post. Play, discuss, have fun! And remember:
hasseapa wrote:... posting in the old threads should be encouraged. Old players can update their score, new players can post scores, and anyone can leave comments on the games.

EDIT: Thanks to Vic Porter we now have a D64 of Squeeze. It is now included in the download above.
Last edited by akator on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: VIC Game Club No. 1 – Qix Inspired Games

Post by Boray »

Is there any prg version of squeeze? I can't play taps on my vic.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Right now I feel it would have been great if the C64 Final Cartridge freeze and dump to disk function was built into VICE!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Just got 12805 on Shark Attack. I used to be able to average between 13 and 15k but I'm a bit rusty at the moment (haven't been playing video games at all for the last few months).
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I will give all of them a serious try before I vote. It's always fun to compare games!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Will try to see if I can get the tapdancer app working today to load squeeze. The cable of my tape adapter is pretty thick though so I'm a bit sceptic.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Boray wrote:Will try to see if I can get the tapdancer app working today to load squeeze. The cable of my tape adapter is pretty thick though so I'm a bit sceptic.
Boray wrote:Managed to load it! :)
http://museum.boray.se/#!album-18
That's a pretty awesome solution, I haven't thought of doing it that way :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

You can even load prg files with tapdancer, and that adapter is pretty cheap (about $9) so this is probably a good low budget alternative to SD2IEC. It's a bit unstable though, and you can't save, so I wouldn't trade it for my SD2IEC.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Boray wrote:You can even load prg files with tapdancer, and that adapter is pretty cheap (about $9) so this is probably a good low budget alternative to SD2IEC. It's a bit unstable though, and you can't save, so I wouldn't trade it for my SD2IEC.
I've got one of those cassette adapters laying around from years ago. After I recap my VIC and do the plug and play S-Video upgrade, I'm definitely going to give that a try.

Squeeze is a tough game. My best so far is 1720.

Slap Dab isn't nearly as difficult, but it has a cute factor that I enjoy. My high in that is 41980.
Squeeze 1720 akator.png
Squeeze 1720 akator.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Slap Dab 41980 akator.png
Slap Dab 41980 akator.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

11780 on Shark Attack so far. But I will try it on a real Vic with joystick later and see if it makes any difference. Anyhow, it gets quite hectic on the 4th screen! When the sharks start to escape I find it almost impossible to stay calm - death ensues in a few seconds.

It's not a very deep game, but fast, fun, and very addicitive :)

I have only played Slap Dap for a few minutes as of yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth. Seems like a great concept let down by mediocre execution.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

The best I've been able to do in Shark Attack is 10785.
Ola H wrote:Anyhow, it gets quite hectic on the 4th screen! When the sharks start to escape I find it almost impossible to stay calm - death ensues in a few seconds.
I get clobbered on that 4th level, too! I can't react fast enough and the sharks get me within seconds.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Been offline for a few days. Now that I'm back in will give these a try asap.
Last edited by R'zo on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I wonder how many more Qix inspired games there were for the Vic? I remember one game I used to covet in the small ads of Power Play magazine - Mad Painter! From the description it seems similar to Slap Dap. I have never seen it though and there doesn't seem to be any screen shots around on the web. So many mysterious Vic games still to be found :)
Attachments
Skärmklipp.JPG
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I have tried all three games + arcade Qix now. All the VIC games are very different from Qix, but I actually prefer them in many regards.

Shark Attack plays much like a Snake-game. You can collide with your own tail but at the expense of it its fencing function.

Slap Dab has much in common with maze-diggers like Dig Dug.

Squeeze has superficially much in common with Qix, but by allowing free movement along earlier drawn lines, it is transformed to a vastly different maze game.

Luckily, I very much like Snake & maze games (Yeah, I like Nibbler).

My scores as of yet:

Shark Attack: 8130
Slap Dab: 16040
Squeeze: 1960

I expect the first two scores to be much improved (basically the result of testing). The Squeeze score is however the result of intense playing and a good strategy.