VIC Game Club - General Discussion, Game Suggestions

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Monthly VIC Game Club ?

Post by hasseapa »

The Shark Attack tune? Perhaps it is supposed to be a variant on the sailor song Blow The Man Down, just as the tune in C64 Manic Miner is supposed to be a variant on Hall Of The Mountain King...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

hasseapa wrote:I will gladly play Shark Attack. My only concern is that it is too unique to be considered a clone of Qix.
I grant you that the game mechanics aren't anywhere near as refined in Shark Attack as they are in Qix but the basic premise of filling screen space while avoiding obstacles is still the same.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

It's safe to say that Qix was the inspiration for Shark Attack :)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Squeeze by Synapse is a straight Qix clone for Vic (even though Qix him(?)self is missing). I can't remember if I have played it or not but it looks great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-VndDnD34
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

The Shark Attack tune? Perhaps it is supposed to be a variant on the sailor song Blow The Man Down, just as the tune in C64 Manic Miner is supposed to be a variant on Hall Of The Mountain King...
That's probably it! The naval theme makes it likely. Some changed notes and slightly off-tune, but certainly more true to the original than the weird "interpretation" in C64 Manic Miner.

Btw, this must have effected my subconcious, because I woke up this morning with the words to the Swedish 1939 tune "Kalle på Spången" singing in my head. It took me a few minutes and then I realised that it is practically the same tune as "Blow the man down". The composer Lasse Dahlquist seems to have taken all the credit though...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've never played Shark attack before but I tried it today. It's more challenging and more fun than I thought. My 5 year old daughter said she liked the music, but she didn't want to play. My 1 year old tried it though as well as my wife. My high score is 10000+ something.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Jumping the gun a little, but I figured we might as well start while interest was fresh. The first round is 3 Qix Inspired Games. Play them all or just one. Have fun!
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

I'm in! TIme to get the VIC fired up!
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I'm surprised golf didn't get a shout out. It is my personal favorite arcade ports. The vic version honestly my favorite version of the game.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

VIC Gorf is great. I guess, we will get to it eventually.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: VIC Game Club - General Discussion, Game Suggestions

Post by akator »

It's time to start thinking about the next game(s).

Please nominate a game from the Classic Home Titles category that you think would be good for the next round. This should be a game that isn't clearly derived or cloned from an arcade title, something unique to home computers or game consoles.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the classic home titles of the Era outside of the Scott Adam's games. I am excited for this round, all 3 games in the last round were new to me and I enjoyed them all. Perhaps you guys should nominate some must know titles here for us less versed newbies to the vic :)
R'zo
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I wouldn't mind a text adventure that I have not tried before. Discussing them may be a problem as I wouldn't want to read any spoilers. Among the Scott Adams adventures, I have only played Adventureland. I have heard good things about The Count so I guess that would be my first choice. Very much open to other suggestions (adventures or not).
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

hasseapa wrote:I wouldn't mind a text adventure that I have not tried before. Discussing them may be a problem as I wouldn't want to read any spoilers. Among the Scott Adams adventures, I have only played Adventureland. I have heard good things about The Count so I guess that would be my first choice. Very much open to other suggestions (adventures or not).
Strangely, I never played The Count, either. Since there haven't been any other nominations, we're going to go with The Count.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Sounds good to me
R'zo