Bongo won't start

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

topcat
Vic 20 Drifter

Bongo won't start

Post by topcat »

The Bongo at http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... /Bongo.prg shows the intro screen and "PRESS ANY KEY" but I can't seem to get the main game to start. This happens on emulator and on the real Vic, loading the .prg from SD2IEC. Is the .prg corrupt, or am I missing the way to start it?
I seem to recall on the real game on the real VIC I just had to press fire on the joystick, but that doesn't work with the .prg.
topcat
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Bongo won't start

Post by topcat »

I found a .TAP image of Bongo here ftp://8bitfiles.net/cbm8bits/vic20/extras/Tap/16k taps/ which does work in VICE but of course takes 2 minutes to load in!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

topcat wrote:work in VICE but of course takes 2 minutes to load in!
Set it to warp speed while loading and it will take about 15 seconds.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Works for me in VICE with TDE turned off.

I didn't try with the *.prg from zimmers put into a disk image and TDE on, but pressing STOP/RESTORE after loading from disk or SD2IEC before entering RUN should remedy the issue.

Most probably once again the case of a fucked up joystick detection routine.
topcat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by topcat »

Thanks Boray, warp speed is a good idea. :D
Thanks Mike, True Drive Emulation off also makes it load fast into VICE :D . Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to get this working on my real VIC20, the .prj does not allow an opportunity to RUNSTOP/RESTORE before the program starts, and doing RUNSTOP/RESTORE when it has already loaded just makes bad things happen!
topcat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by topcat »

Resurrecting this thread 3 years later... I still haven't found a way to get Bongo working with SD2IEC on the real VIC.
The .prg at zimmers.net works in VICE (press joystick FIRE to start) but hangs on the real VIC.
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

In the thread "Trained VIC20 Games , Cheatcodes and Trainer Pokes", @hacky provides a link to a German site with some trained VIC20 games.

Included is the German version of Bongo. I just transferred this to an SD2IEC device and loaded it on a physical VIC20. Seems to work fine.

Graham
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

Try the attached version and let me know.

Looks like the Zimmers version disabled 6502 interrupts, which meant that no key presses would ever be acknowledged, which meant the program got stuck in the title screen cycle betwen $5294 and $5299
Attachments
bongo (1984)(Kingsoft)[16k].zip
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Hanzi
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Hanzi »

Thank´s for the link. The game works flawlessly :-) It´s great.
Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

oracle_jedi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 pm Try the attached version and let me know.

Looks like the Zimmers version disabled 6502 interrupts, which meant that no key presses would ever be acknowledged, which meant the program got stuck in the title screen cycle betwen $5294 and $5299
WONDERFUL! I was looking for a working version of this game since years!
I am just puzzled because I remember that some years ago the .prg worked well even on my real Vic, but after some time it stopped to work.
A kind of mystery...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Maybe the Zimmers file was updated with a non-working one at some point of the time in the past? I also remember downloading it and using it in vice with no problems at all.