Hat Trick

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Vic Porter
Vic 20 Amateur

Hat Trick

Post by Vic Porter »

Hat Trick is a port of the C64 game for VIC-20.
Requires 16k memory expansion.
Supports 24k memory expansion for differing player 2 graphics.

Hat Trick is one-on-one (plus goalkeepers) ice hockey where each player controls the player and goalkeeper simultaneously. The original version is an arcade game. It was ported to C64 in 1987. The C64 version has some interesting bugs that can be exploited by an experienced player to bring the match into the realm of sci-fi; this port preserves those bugs.

The game supports simultaneous two player action. The second player can use either the keyboard (keys: IJKL + left shift) or an userport adapter for a second joystick (see readme.txt).

The source code is included in the download.
Attachments
hattrick1.png
hattrick1.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
hattrick.zip
(35.67 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Hat Trick

Post by Boray »

Are there any changes since the release candidate?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic Porter
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Vic Porter »

Boray wrote:Are there any changes since the release candidate?
Yes. The music was bugged when it was restarted after a game. The music frequency toggling interval is longer. This version needs only 24k for the player 2 graphics. Sadly I couldn't get your tremolo idea working to my liking (the code is there if you want to take a shot).

I should have done a RC2 of it but I got stupidly confident as the inevitable next bug report will show. The graphics contributions I wanted did not show up and I decided to get rid of this project.

Thank you for testing and suggestions!

(The next project starts with a C.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Well, I think you have done a great job with this game! It has already become one of my favorite Vic-20 games. I have watched a lot of hockey over the years, and this game surely have a lot of hockey feeling to it. And there is nothing on the Vic-20 even comparing in the genre. I would say this would have been one of the big vic-20 games if available on cartridge in the early 80s.

My high-score is 4-0 in expert mode.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic Porter
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Vic Porter »

Boray wrote:I have watched a lot of hockey over the years, and this game surely have a lot of hockey feeling to it.
I actually hate hockey (and most other sports). I see this game as an evolved pong variant. To each their own; glad you like it!
Boray wrote:And there is nothing on the Vic-20 even comparing in the genre.
I feel that the friendly computer lacks games to play with friends (simultaneously). This is reflected in my choice of games to port.
Boray wrote:My high-score is 4-0 in expert mode
Two player action is much more fun. Grab a friend/spouse and see who wins!
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

Can somebody post a youtube video of this?
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Vic Porter wrote: I actually hate hockey...

Gasp! :shock:
Blasphemy!!!

LOL...to be honest, I stopped watching sports since the 90's even my beloved hockey during the Gretzky vs Gilmour debacle. My heart never recovered.

Looks and plays great as Hat Trick was one of my favourite games. :D
Learning all the time... :)
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

I live in Pittsburgh, and let me tell you, I'm sick of hearing about Lemeaux and Crosby. Friggin Canadians! HEHE jk
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

tonyrocks wrote:I live in Pittsburgh, and let me tell you, I'm sick of hearing about Lemeaux and Crosby. Friggin Canadians! HEHE jk
LOL :lol:
Learning all the time... :)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Thank you again for the game.
I have not had the time to play it that much but I can for sure say that it is much more playable with the black helmet fix.

I did fiddle with the graphics but only for a very short time. I was mostly interested in the possibility to make it in multi-color but since it did not seamed programmatically feasible and was artistically quite challenging :wink: I gave up. Skating animation did not fit and I never even tried diagonal directions.

I am sure the single-color sprites can be improved a bit, but I think they are really OK as they are.

To make good looking graphics for VIC is certainly possible but you have to build the game around the graphics instead of the other way round. Backwards of course, but one day (in the distant future) I hope to give it a try myself 8)
Vic Porter
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Vic Porter »

hasseapa wrote:I have not had the time to play it that much but I can for sure say that it is much more playable with the black helmet fix.
I'm glad I was (gently) pushed to implement it. It turned out more important than I thought it was.
hasseapa wrote:I did fiddle with the graphics but only for a very short time.
Those look good given the limitations.
hasseapa wrote:I am sure the single-color sprites can be improved a bit, but I think they are really OK as they are.
They were a really quick "throw out every other C64 sprite column" job. I lack the talent/patience to do better.
hasseapa wrote:To make good looking graphics for VIC is certainly possible but you have to build the game around the graphics instead of the other way round.
Indeed. The starting spark for this port was when I was disassembling the C64 code and noticed that "sprite X = 2 * internal player X"...
hasseapa wrote:Backwards of course, but one day (in the distant future) I hope to give it a try myself 8)
Good luck!

Btw, now that it's not WIP... someone pointing out this port to that FRGCB blog would be appreciated ;)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Vic Porter wrote: Btw, now that it's not WIP... someone pointing out this port to that FRGCB blog would be appreciated ;)
I have let him know but he was already aware of your game and plan to update the article when he has the time :)