Scott Adams - Save to Disk?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Scott Adams - Save to Disk?

Post by Bobbi »

I believe the Scott Adams adventures can only save to / restore from tape? I don't have a datasette these days and I was wondering if anyone had ever patched the ROM images to support save / restore to / from disc? (I am guessing this may not be trivially easy to change as disc needs filenames and I expect the existing code saves to tape with zero-length filename.)
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Scott Adams - Save to Disk?

Post by orion70 »

No save to disk patch I know of. But someone here is skilled enough to do this mod :)
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I am thinking the IRQ can trap tape commands and reroute them?

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... ott#p88051
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bobbi wrote:I believe the Scott Adams adventures can only save to / restore from tape? I don't have a datasette these days and I was wondering if anyone had ever patched the ROM images to support save / restore to / from disc? (I am guessing this may not be trivially easy to change as disc needs filenames and I expect the existing code saves to tape with zero-length filename.)
I was about to jump on this one and tell you it must be possible to simply change the device number.

However, if the file name is blank then definitely there will be more to it than that!
Be normal.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I wonder where in memory the current state is. I know it is tiny (location, inventory, score) and saves to tape in a couple of seconds! Perhaps we could write an interrupt service routine to just dump and/or restore those ~512bytes to disk :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bobbi wrote:I wonder where in memory the current state is. I know it is tiny (location, inventory, score) and saves to tape in a couple of seconds! Perhaps we could write an interrupt service routine to just dump and/or restore those ~512bytes to disk :)
Here's my suggestion:
Start a game, save it to tape then use WAV2PRG to get the details of the saved data to examine on a PC.

Then you can start the game again in WinVICE, do exactly the same moves and use WinVICE's built-in monitor to inspect the emulated VIC's RAM.

Since Scott Adams games are designed for an unexpanded VIC and occupy BLK2-3, the information you look for should either be in the 1st 1k ($0000-$03FF) or in the normal 4k RAM ($1000-$1FFF). The last ~512 bytes are used by the screen codes.
Be normal.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

A project for a rainy day. (I have too many projects right now!)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Here are the two relevant parts for Voodoo Castle. I'd simply replace those in full with patches located in $2000..$3FFF (assuming a soft-loaded cartridge and full RAM expansion):

Code: Select all

.7588  A2 01     LDX #$01
.758A  20 BA FF  JSR $FFBA
.758D  A9 00     LDA #$00
.758F  85 4E     STA $4E
.7591  A9 10     LDA #$10
.7593  85 4F     STA $4F
.7595  A9 4E     LDA #$4E
.7597  A2 3E     LDX #$3E
.7599  A0 12     LDY #$12
.759B  20 D8 FF  JSR $FFD8
[...]
.7BA3  A2 01     LDX #$01
.7BA5  A0 00     LDY #$00
.7BA7  20 BA FF  JSR $FFBA
.7BAA  A9 00     LDA #$00
.7BAC  8D 3C 12  STA $123C
.7BAF  20 D5 FF  JSR $FFD5
mrr19121970 wrote:I am thinking the IRQ can trap tape commands and reroute them?
Erm, no? How should it be able to do that? Just for you to know: the KERNAL tape routines temporarily replace the current IRQ vector with an own one. Simply put: that colour selection wedge you refer to is put out of service during tape operations. A rather uncomfortable situation for a routine you want to take over the load/save process. :P

For the other adventures, the commands "H 4000 7FFF 20 D5 FF" and "H 4000 7FFF 20 D8 FF" should point to the routines that do the save/load there.

I leave doing the actual patches as exercise for the reader. :mrgreen:
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I didn't know the KERNAL tape routines fiddled with the vector. Good to know!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

JSR $FFBA sets the device number. Since the LDX #$01 precedes it then that's the tape device number.

JSR $FFD8 is a jump to the save, JSR $FFD5 is a jump to the load.

There is no JSR $FFBD to set the file name but if you want to save to a disk drive, you'll have to make sure you either save under an unused filename or use the overwrite option.

The saved region is from $1000 to $123E, starts at 4096, ends at 4670. Saved data is 574 bytes in length.
Be normal.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mike wrote:Here are the two relevant parts for Voodoo Castle. I'd simply replace those in full with patches located in $2000..$3FFF (assuming a soft-loaded cartridge and full RAM expansion):
AFAIK, there will be a problem with that.

The area which contains the game status saved is $1000-$123e and most of this areas becomes used by the screen codes if you install 8k+ RAM expansion which starts at BLK1 ($2000-$3FFF).

If you have full RAM expansion and do the patching as you suggest, you have to make sure BASIC doesn't detect it.

An alternative is to have RAM in BLK5 ($A000-$BFFF) or in the 3k RAM expansion area ($0400-$0FFF).
Be normal.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

eslapion wrote:AFAIK, there will be a problem with that.

The area which contains the game status saved is $1000-$123e and most of this areas becomes used by the screen codes if you install 8k+ RAM expansion which starts at BLK1 ($2000-$3FFF).

If you have full RAM expansion and do the patching as you suggest, you have to make sure BASIC doesn't detect it.
Well spotted. However, the patch can simply relocate the screen to the position where it is with unexpanded (or +3K) RAM.

Three instructions in machine code: LDA #$1E:STA $0288:JSR $E518 (or POKE648,30:SYS58648 in BASIC) are all that is needed *) - ...
An alternative is to have RAM in BLK5 ($A000-$BFFF) or in the 3k RAM expansion area ($0400-$0FFF).
... instead of resorting to rather uncommon RAM configurations (BLK2+BLK3+BLK5 or RAMx+BLK2+BLK3, both *excluding* BLK1).

The aforementioned wedge for the screen colour change resides in the internal RAM, implying the Scott Adams adventures don't use all of it. Possibly the load/save patch could be put there too, and then the screen relocation "issue" also doesn't crop up.

*) in a related matter, temporarily "unexpanding" the VIC-20 from any kind of RAM expansion until the next power cycle or hard reset also needs the BASIC start and end to be adjusted correspondingly. That is done with POKE642,16:POKE644,30:POKE648,30:SYS64818. POKE642,16 sets the start of BASIC, POKE644,30 the end of BASIC, POKE648,30 the screen base address and SYS64818 performs a soft reset (which excludes the RAM check but includes SYS58648). However, for these cartridge games, that adjustment of the BASIC pointers is not necessary.

P.S.
eslapion wrote:if you want to save to a disk drive, you'll have to make sure you either save under an unused filename or use the overwrite option.
You know the "@" drive command for save-with-replace is bugged on CBM disk drives and can lead to loss of data? Not because of the issue when not enough room is there for the new file, but because the remove procedure for the old file sometimes frees the wrong blocks.

If you do it on your own disks, with your own drives, that's your own problem.

It will annoy a lot of people if it's put in a released program. Really no good idea to even suggest its use.

The Right Thing to do is: either first scratch the old savegame (with the "S" DOS command) and then save; or - for the more paranoid ;) - with a savegame and a backup of it: (step 1) first scratch a possible remnant of the backup, then (step 2) rename SAVEGAME.DAT to SAVEGAME.BAK, and finally (step 3) save a new SAVEGAME.DAT.
Last edited by Mike on Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mike wrote:Well spotted. However, the patch can simply relocate the screen to the position where it is with unexpanded (or +3K) RAM.

... instead of resorting to rather uncommon RAM configurations (BLK2+BLK3+BLK5 or RAMx+BLK2+BLK3, both *excluding* BLK1).

The aforementioned wedge for the screen colour change resides in the internal RAM, implying the Scott Adams adventures don't use all of it. Possibly the load/save patch could be put there too, and then the screen relocation "issue" also doesn't crop up.
I have a preference for "automated" solutions. Instead of leaving the VIC with RAM in BLK1 and then using tricks to relocate the screen, leave it with only BLK2-3 used by the SA game and then we know the RAM from $1300 to $1DFF is most likely completely unused.

Just in case we can always resort to do exactly what you did a few months ago with another massive save routine and use $02A1 - $02FF which is always available no matter what RAM configuration you use.
Be normal.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

eslapion wrote:I have a preference for "automated" solutions.
If anything, you're proposing a hardware solution. :lol:
Instead of leaving the VIC with RAM in BLK1 and then using tricks
"TRICKS?"

What, please, is "tricky" about a *known* *working* software solution you just didn't have on the radar?
Just in case we can always resort to do exactly what you did a few months ago with another massive save routine and use $02A1 - $02FF which is always available no matter what RAM configuration you use.
Go ahead, write the patch. In whatever way you deem working. You know there'll be at least two users. :)