Halloween Game Release: It Came From the Grave

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Halloween Game Release: It Came From the Grave

Post by Jeff-20 »

DOWNLOAD

Use Joystick or Keyboard (WASD) to escape a graveyard full of ghouls.

It's a working draft right now. Just thought it would be a fun weekend game.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Halloween Game Release: It Came From the Grave

Post by Misfit »

Thanks,
Nice "Game & Watch" feeling and great graphics

hiscore : 8
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Misfit wrote:Thanks,
Nice "Game & Watch" feeling and great graphics

hiscore : 8
Thanks! The game has an ending at 10.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Addictive and stylish as always :D The multicolor player character is a nice touch and makes it stand out in subtle way. I made it to the end rather quickly (the knowledge of 'only' ten levels motivated me).
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Nice! You did it!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

"You did it!"
We need more levels and features (moving enemies or something)! :D

Very addictive.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks. I needed something to get me in the Hallowe'en spirit.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Very neat little memory game :D A tad easy perhaps, but on the other hand, I'd probably get furiously frustrated if it was more difficult. Time bonus could maybe invite some risk/reward-aspect to make it more challenging without taxing memory in unpleasant ways... I'm thinking both of a timer during movement and a timer while viewing obstacles. They could also coordinate, e.g. the longer you choose to view the obstacles, the less time you have during the movement phase.

A step counter could also be used for score. The less steps you take, the higher the score. Add another key (or another object) to pick up and suddenly the shortest safe route could be really hard to figure out quickly, even with just a few obstacles.

Just thinking out loud - the game still works very well as a it is 8)
Vic Porter
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Vic Porter »

Delightful ditties and nice graphics! Got 8 points, will try again later.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for playing, everyone! It was just a quick, impulsive project. I didn't really get to do everything I wanted.
Ola H wrote:... I'm thinking both of a timer during movement and a timer while viewing obstacles. They could also coordinate, e.g. the longer you choose to view the obstacles, the less time you have during the movement phase.

A step counter could also be used for score. The less steps you take, the higher the score. Add another key (or another object) to pick up and suddenly the shortest safe route could be really hard to figure out quickly, even with just a few obstacles.
Thanks for the tips. I think of Halloween as more of a child's event, so I thought of this game as being "kid-friendly" with simple, cartoonish graphics and sound. I have an accommodation for two or more keys in the code, so I may implement some kind of advanced mode for adults.

As for the timer and step counter suggestions, do you think it might take away from the suspense of each step and turn it into a familiar, arcade style game? I wanted slow, methodical steps to go for a different kind of tension ("did i remember correctly?"). Even the score is not really a competitive score, it really should be a percentage complete number.

I will make some changes and upload an updated version.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

When you put it that way I guess I have to agree - too much strategy will probably take away from the suspense. But I think the timer idea, i.e "the longer you choose to view the obstacles, the less time you have during the movement phase" might work as it doesn't add strategy to the movement phase; it rather adds another layer of strategy: deciding how much faith you have in your own memorizing skills.

Another idea: While you watch the obstacles, more obstacles appear! That is: the longer you choose to memorize, the more you have to memorize :D
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Very enjoyable. Your ability to make something creative and fun out of something so simple never ceases to amaze me.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

DOWNLOAD

Updated for the season. New graphics. Kid friendly for spooky holiday fun. I hope you like it. I am still considering some of the above suggestions from those wanting a more serious game. Can anyone help me improve the 16x16 enemy graphics?
alexjlopez
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by alexjlopez »

Jeff-20 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 am Updated for the season. New graphics. Kid friendly for spooky holiday fun. I hope you like it.
Love this game! Thanks!
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Just had a good go at this after seeing it on the releasing page. I've only managed to get up to 50%, and only just after about 30 playthroughs had it deliver an unwinnable screen.
Dunno how to avoid this unless the vic has to calculate if there is a route and not put a baddie down in a place where there isn't, but that's proabably asking the vic to think too much.
I like the new Game Over screen, kind of miss Frankenstein, but only after I went back to compare.

The Gate & Moon are certainly more horror movies style, the Pumkins look more pumpkin shaped. The main sprite makes better use of the multi colour mode. I like the 3D Graveyard fixtures, they stick out better. I also like that you can more clearly see where the baddies were when you conplete a level.
The Lightning does add a nice atmostphere to the game, it's just unfortunate that it does make the control a bit more fiddly. I went back to the old version and the controls are more responsive. I'm torn wether the addition of lightning is worth the cost to control. Maybe if there was less of it.

Think I might get my friends to play this if I have a halloween party, certainly a game everyone can enjoy.