Game By Abbex Software - HELP!

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kieren
Vic 20 Newbie

Game By Abbex Software - HELP!

Post by Kieren »

Hi all,

I'm Kieren and I write for Retro Gamer magazine. I am currently writing an article on UK company Abbex Software for the mag but I am having great difficulty locating any of their VIC-20 software! The former owner of the company Mark Nunan has confirmed to me that they released "quite a few" games for the VIC-20 but he can't remember exactly what they were.

A great deal of research led me to an advert that was published in Personal Computer World showing 2 of these games as being available to buy - Atlantis and Spider Storm, Googling these brought up nothing except lots of links to Imagic's Atlantis (different game). Here is said advert:

So is there anyone on here who can spread any more light on this? Ideally I wanted the ROMs so I could get screenshots but this is looking increasingly unlikely!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: Game By Abbex Software - HELP!

Post by Mayhem »

Well, I wonder who this could be? ;)

Anyhow, as the guy in charge of Gamebase20, the games ring absolutely no bells with me. I'll have a check in my archives in case they are there and I haven't added them to the database yet, but I suspect anything Vic20 from Abbex is currently MIA.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Kieren
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kieren »

Mayhem wrote:Well, I wonder who this could be? ;)

Anyhow, as the guy in charge of Gamebase20, the games ring absolutely no bells with me. I'll have a check in my archives in case they are there and I haven't added them to the database yet, but I suspect anything Vic20 from Abbex is currently MIA.
Hahaha! I was actually planning to send you a message directly too, I guess I don't need to now!

The 2 on the poster were definitely released according to Mark, he says that he has copies of them himself. Only problem is that they are in storage somewhere and he no idea where!

He seemed to think that there were actually 2 or 3 more for the VIC-20 too but couldn't recall what they were.

He did also say that Abbex's VIC-20 games only sold in small numbers and were not successful at all, which led to them focusing on Spectrum games.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Probably why no one has come forward and archived them yet, if they sold in tiny numbers. I keep constantly bumping into new games for the Vic20 simply because there must have been so many releases that were mail order only or similar, that there's barely any trace of them bar mentions in computer magazine adverts.

Actually, I only recently heard of Abbex as Guru Larry did a video on the ETX game.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Kieren
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kieren »

Mayhem wrote:Probably why no one has come forward and archived them yet, if they sold in tiny numbers. I keep constantly bumping into new games for the Vic20 simply because there must have been so many releases that were mail order only or similar, that there's barely any trace of them bar mentions in computer magazine adverts.

Actually, I only recently heard of Abbex as Guru Larry did a video on the ETX game.
It was Larry's video that prompted me into researching them! I tracked down the owner and the coder of E.T.X. among others. I was also interested to find out Costa Panayi worked with them for a short time.