Best original games on vic 20...

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

GameOn
Vic 20 Newbie

Best original games on vic 20...

Post by GameOn »

Currently in a video games exhibition that is currently in a museum in Oslo, we have Matrix, probably one of the greatest games ever to grace the Vic 20.

I have another Vic 20 and a SD2IEC and would like to put another game up.

The game has to be original (so no games that are rip offs off arcade games or arcade conversions), be playable with a joystick, be a game that first was on the Vic 20 (unless it's an impressive re/de make of something) and be impressive.

So any suggestions?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Best original games on vic 20...

Post by eslapion »

My absolute all time favorite VIC-20 game is Lunar Leeper.

Apparently, it showed up on the Apple II before it was on the VIC but it is not an arcade conversion, requires a joystick and is definitely better than any other version and is indeed, for it's time (©1981), a very impressive game.
Be normal.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Matrix is a great choice!

Ultimate's Jetpac is very impressive and easy to pick up and play with joystick. But I think the Spectrum version was released some months prior to the Vic version.

Tom Griner's games are all technically excellent, but most are conversions from Apple II and Atari 800. Same goes for Pharaoh's Curse, which is probably my favorite Vic 20 game of all time.

I would consider choosing Mike Singleton's Snake Pit. It's a very clever idea and still feels unique. Furthermore, the Vic version is the best one and I seem to recall that it was released before the Spectrum and C64 versions. It is, however, not very technically impressive, but it still looks good and plays very well with a joystick.

Peter Fokos's Spiders of Mars is a pretty slick game that was a Vic 20 exclusive. I am in any case aware of no further conversions. It's not my favourite Vic game but pretty iconic for the Vic, I'd say.
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

Boulder Dan, whilst a recent game, is pretty nifty in its own right...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I don't think Matrix is very original (if original is what you want). It's a version of Centipede, just taken into outer space. I can't think of an original game for the vic-20 of the 80s at all. Commodore's strategy was to bring all popular existing games to the vic-20.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Try these

Laser Zone, 8k /16k - better sound than some of the other Jeff Minter games

Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time, Unexpanded - unusual control of reflective beam shooting

Hellgate 8k / 16k - 4 Ships to control

Star Defence 16k - Excellent Defender game

Myriad 8k / 16k - Excellent Multi alien shooting game with great sound

Frantic, Unexpanded - excellent game concept and story falling in space, limited fuel for thrust to slow descent

Arcadia, Unexpanded - great hard multi level shoot 'em up with countdown timer and thrust and gravity.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready