VIC-20 Isometric game prototype?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

VIC-20 Isometric game prototype?

Post by orion70 »

As per title, I found this video showing impressive Spectrum-like isometrics from Misfit. Anyone knows? Did I miss a post here?

hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: VIC-20 Isometric game prototype?

Post by hasseapa »

Too cool... If Vic hadn't been killed off by C64, we would, no doubt, have seen many of these for Vic.

Not all isometric-styled games are very playable. Crawlingly slow isometric games that nevertheless try to incorporate arcade actions fail miserably in the fun department... but they are still 'cool' IMO!

Misfit's game looks quick and nifty though :D
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

WOOOOW, very impressive graphics and smoothness!!!!!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Well.. it's my next project for VIC-20. :wink:

I try to fix my enemy sprite mask / collision / whatever problems. I hope that I could release it someday (sooner or later). 28 unique adventure screens.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Misfit wrote:28 unique adventure screens.
It's far more than one would expect from the humble VIC. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't have posted the video - now we won't let you program in peace until at least a playable beta is released :P.
EDIT- the main character is inspired to Spectrum's Horace, isn't he?
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

orion70 wrote:EDIT- the main character is inspired to Spectrum's Horace, isn't he?
You have to blame my artistic skills and low resolution. First it was a placeholder but now it's like an old friend :D
But yes, He/She/It looks like Horace.

EDIT: ..and NO. No playable beta. I will release it when it's ready. :)
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

I have always wondered how sprite masking works in that kind of game :lol:
Anyway another great forthcoming release from you misfit :wink:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It looks great... but only 28 screens? I'd almost suggest a dynamic multiload off disk to increase the number of potential rooms.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Very nice! I love how each coder has it's own sort-of "style" for the newer VIC-20 games. While you use HiRes-graphics most of the time reminiscent of ZX Spectrum games, beamrider mostly uses Multicolor (Pooyan, Popeye), which due to its chunky pixels looks more like Atari 2600. Then you have the masterpieces by Victragic (where is he?) like Pitfall that uses rasterline x-and-y splits and even background splits to achieve the most colorful and detailed graphics. Each style has its own advantages, of course. I can't wait what comes next!
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

tokra wrote:Very nice! I love how each coder has it's own sort-of "style" for the newer VIC-20 games. While you use HiRes-graphics most of the time reminiscent of ZX Spectrum games, beamrider mostly uses Multicolor (Pooyan, Popeye), which due to its chunky pixels looks more like Atari 2600. Then you have the masterpieces by Victragic (where is he?) like Pitfall that uses rasterline x-and-y splits and even background splits to achieve the most colorful and detailed graphics. Each style has its own advantages, of course. I can't wait what comes next!
I would like to second that! The different styles both reflect the creators' inspiration and background as well as the versatility of VIC's graphical capabilities.

I would love to see something from Victragic again.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

A very impressive technical achievement...and just looks darned fun to play.

I like seeing these glimpses of the potential VIC-20 might have been taken to, had it been the sole home Commodore on the market for a few more years. As it was, the C64 "distracted" a lot of programmers in 1982.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Again, history is not made with "if", but Tramiel's tactic to obliterate the VIC with an (almost) incompatible big brother was not good for Commodore in the long term. It inaugurated a long list of parallel roads - see the infamous TED series in mid-80s - and prevented gifted programmers from fully exploiting the VIC's potential. Yep they didn't have all today's cross-platform tools, emulators, and so on; but waiting a bit and releasing a 40-column 16K VIC (w/MOS VIC II) in the first place, then putting forth a bigger fully compatible brother 2 or 3 years later would have been the average user's delight, and Commodore's guarantee for the future. Just imagine a 1985 super-VIC with 64K RAM, 320x200 graphics, BASIC V3.5 (or 4.0), and incorporated floppy disk drive :).
Frantic decisions in frantic times, and excessive brains turnover, were CBM's hallmarks, and the premise for its decline.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:P
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

Nice!!!! :D

PS: I have never seen a VIC keyboard so large :shock:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

orion70 wrote:Image
:P
You've got a VIC-2000 too! I thought I had the only one left! :wink:
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com